All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones Buffet Super Dynaction Tenor Sax

naverwater

Does anyone have any familiarity or opinions on a Buffet Super Dynaction Saxophone. I recently received one and don't know a whole lot about it or what it may be worth. Any thoughts? It is serial number 16228 and was customized by Ted Talley and Bob Hale. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

photo (2).jpg photo.jpg

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Do you have the neck?

Buffet Crampon was/is a big french instrument manufacturer. The SDA was one of their best models and well thought of by many.

Assuming there's a mouthpiece as well, it'd be worth checking out what it is. These vintage saxes often come with a good mouthpiece that's still in demand today.

What do you mean by customised?

MMM

There's a couple on ebay at the moment, to give you an idea of value.
I have been playing an SDA alto for the last 10 years and it's a very well built saxophone with it's own voice, wish I could try a tenor!

Hope you put it to good use (BTW, never seen a silver plated one like yours, maybe a custom job?).
Cheers,
M.

naverwater

Do you have the neck?

Buffet Crampon was/is a big french instrument manufacturer. The SDA was one of their best models and well thought of by many.

Assuming there's a mouthpiece as well, it'd be worth checking out what it is. These vintage saxes often come with a good mouthpiece that's still in demand today.

What do you mean by customised?

I do have the original neck that does not use cork but instead a rubber o-rings to hold the mouthpiece to the neck.

The customization looks to be in the silver color and with the inlays. I have not seen a silver one similar to this yet and has some (possibly?) custom stone work in the keys.

Do you think these things may increase the value or just additional features that don't have much of an impact on the value?

TomMapfumo

More likely to decrease value. Folks who are likely to buy said sax are most likely to want one in as original a condition as possible, and any customising is likely to decrease value. Buffet Crampon were producing saxes before Selmer ever did, for what it is worth.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I tend to agree with Tom, but I don't know anything about the customiser. You might find a collector looking for one, and then this would have a big positive effect on the value. Might help if you know more about the customiser and who else they worked for. Another thought is that things like this may be deprecated now, but may become desirable in future.

rcharlier

Sorry for the late reply, I missed this thread when it originally happened. I have a Super Dynaction, pretty close serial to what you listed. There are a few things that look much different than mine: the F# key on the right hand stack, the logo on the bell brace, and the color/finish.

Having the original neck is a big plus - I don't have mine, and it is difficult to find an SDA "for parts".

But in any case, mine (and probably yours as well) are solid players. Treat it well!

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom