support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Buffet Crampon tenor mouthpiece

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Recently aquired with a Martin Typewriter tenor. I am lacking in my mouthpiece knowledge.
A little help identifying the year of make/model and grade would be most appreciated.
AB08275B-D571-4065-9222-12DBED4603BA.jpeg
B67C0EB5-5341-4B4D-9331-2FF25081A473.jpeg
A7E76A76-CB65-4F92-AD74-53DF74D003BA.jpeg
FC55C9A7-5371-4B4E-A22F-B22DF29E619D.jpeg
FF8AAC31-A1C2-4C61-97B7-578F98141F58.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking up the bore does it have a horseshoe-shaped throat ?

If so it is similar to my very favourite tenor mouthpiece (out of maybe 50) and I think was approximately contemporary with and equivalent to the old Selmer Soloist mouthpieces.

Have a look at this old thread on SOTW. They seem to be called the Master Bore model and were supplied with Buffet Crampon Super Dynaction (and possibly later) saxophones.

Also have a look at this blog on Riffault mouthpieces - bear in mind that they have had various external shapes over the years.

Rhys

Looking up the bore does it have a horseshoe-shaped throat ?

If so it is similar to my very favourite tenor mouthpiece (out of maybe 50) and I think was approximately contemporary with and equivalent to the old Selmer Soloist mouthpieces.

Have a look at this old thread on SOTW. They seem to be called the Master Bore model and were supplied with Buffet Crampon Super Dynaction (and possibly later) saxophones.

Also have a look at this blog on Riffault mouthpieces - bear in mind that they have had various external shapes over the years.

Rhys
Thanks for the information. I tried searching SOTW with no luck. I’m familiar with that Riffault article. Need to re-read again. It’s been awhile.

Horseshoe shape ?
CA00E831-806E-4974-84B3-03CCC343E533.jpeg
1F50A8D3-C8CE-4BEF-90FB-D45FA0079A5F.jpeg
353C720E-F3A8-41D3-90A7-5EC34FD870BE.jpeg

That's the one.

Very good quality rubber and they can be wonderful pieces. Mine was refaced by Morgan Fry before I got it and it's magical. I've got another as backup which is good too and also got similar B&C pieces for soprano, alto and baritone.

What are your plans with this one ?

Rhys

Thanks for taking the time to reply. For now I’ll just give it a gentle cleaning and test it. I’m feeling really lucky this will work on one of my ten tenors.
Also I need a good laugh. I haven’t looked up the value yet.
The MPC & Typewriter cost me $175 total. Full asking price including a case.
1712140783050.jpeg

1712141120455.jpeg

Don't expect too much if you want to sell these B&C mouthpieces. There are a lot around, mainly in small tip openings, and they haven't been discovered and spiralled in value like the old Selmer Soloists.

At a guess a piece like this might sell for around $100 with no flaws.

So really, it's a player rather than an investment.

At least until people start waking up to their great qualities.

Rhys

Let’s just say I’m happy it’s worth more than the case. The mouthpiece is actually in really good shape. No bite marks, chips, or scratches.
Looking forward to giving this a blow.

I think small chamber mouthpieces (smaller than the bore) and Martin saxes are good combos. I have some original Martin mouthpieces and the chamber is often "Horse shoe" or "V shaped".

Back
Top Bottom