SYOS

Saxophones Buescher Truetone tenor

Mack

Has anyone out there got a Buescher Truetone tenor (mine is a 238xxx Mark 4 model)? What do you think of them? Value? I think they need a large bore mouthpiece - any recommendations?

jonf

Hi

Not got a tenor, but have both soprano and alto True Tones. Great, great saxes. Ergonomics not so great as a newer sax, but you get used to it. Luscious creamy tone. For me at least, pretty reasonable intonation. If the tenor's anything like the alto and sop, I would ignore any received wisdom about the need for a large bore mouthpiece. I play the alto on a Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece, the sop using a Bari Gold metal. Both are pretty small bore, modern mouthpieces, and both work great. Good intonation and good tone, with the sparkle you just don't get with a mouthpiece which is contemorary with the sax. I'd suggest open-minded experimentation.

Value? Not so great. One of the most under-rated vintage saxes, IMHO. Tenors bought privately, I would guess in the £300-£600 pricte range depending on condition.

Jon

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
There are two mouth;piece guys who post here, Morgan Fry and Philtone, may be others that I'm not aware of.

Would be worth sending one of them a pm. Maybe Morgan, as he's UK based and posts more often.

Top Bottom