All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Buescher Baritone

QWales

Locality
S. Wales, UK
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
Can anyone tell me anything about this Sax please? It seems to play well in the right hands, I couldn't do much with it myself but 2 more experienced people in a class I take made some great sounds with it. I bought it described as 1950's but the guy who played it reckons 1920's.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
20s or earlier I would think. Low B only and possibly up to Eb - can't see the palm keys but no rh side keys. High pitch?

Thinking about it - if there were any palm keys they should be visible in the last pic. So only up to C#. Sure it's a baritone?

QWales

Locality
S. Wales, UK
Thanks Nick, that's what it was sold to me as, what else could it be?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Bass. Looks about bari size but can't tell the scale from the pics. Does it play in tune?

Is there a serial number?

Last edited:

QWales

Locality
S. Wales, UK
It played really nicely when the guy in my class had a go. It was sold to me with the following info " Buescher Academy baritone saxophone, a lovely example of an interesting horn, quite unique the horn only plays down to a low C#" but there's no guarantees that is correct. I'll have a look for at the serial number when I get home.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Are there any low B or Bb? I can't see the low keys. Keyed C to C? A baritone home model?

QWales

Locality
S. Wales, UK
I don't think so, there are very few keys on this

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
" Buescher Academy baritone saxophone, a lovely example of an interesting horn, quite unique the horn only plays down to a low C#"

A student horn apparently. Bit of a challenge to find all the missing notes. :)

MontyMac

Locality
Houston, Texas
Are there any low B or Bb? I can't see the low keys. Keyed C to C? A baritone home model?
A "C" Bari? Possible. Maybe an "F" horn?
Is there a patent number on it #Qwales and did you check with a tuner what it was doing?
Curiosity Overdrive!

QWales

Locality
S. Wales, UK
Is there a patent number on it #Qwales and did you check with a tuner what it was doing?
Curiosity Overdrive!

Will get back to you with more info, I think it was Eb as mentioned below.

Last edited by a moderator:

QWales

Locality
S. Wales, UK
It's an Eb baritone but with a lot of keywork left off to make it easier for a student.

Sounding pretty confident there Nick, so that's it then, it's a standard Eb Bari with the extra key work removed? I forgot to mention that there is a small, perfectly formed, 5mm ish hole roughly opposite the lowest of the 6 main keys, so located on the back of the lower part of the bell. I guess this was a mounting for the missing keywork?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Sounding pretty confident there Nick, so that's it then, it's a standard Eb Bari with the extra key work removed? I forgot to mention that there is a small, perfectly formed, 5mm ish hole roughly opposite the lowest of the 6 main keys, so located on the back of the lower part of the bell. I guess this was a mounting for the missing keywork?
See here.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Very odd. The octave key appears more modern than 1920s. If it only goes up to Eb or C# then why the apparent aux F?

Staff online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom