support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones buescher aristocrat alto Series iii

Late arrival

Good evening all.

I just wanted to get some more information about the Buescher aristocrat alto.

I usually play tenor but want to try an alto. I have been offered a Buescher Aristocrat. The seller says it is a big b but I have researched this the engraving is wrong if it is because they usually have the B on the front. This just has buescher Elkhart USA.

The serial number is around 330xxx and front the list of serial numbers this would be after the Big B.

It is in near mint condition and I am thinking of taking the plunge but it's up for £700 and if it is series iii I am not sure if this is a good deal. There isn't much around on the web to guide on value and eBay has a lot of newer models which are in pretty bad shape.

Any pointers or advice would be much appreciated.

I think you'll find it's post Big B and pre 400/Top Hat and Cane.

No idea about price, but if it's that good, maybe ok. Might not be easy to sell if you decide it's not for you.

Thanks for the response. The price doesn't seem much for a good vintage alto although I wouldn't want to lose too much.

According to SaxPics, the Series III Aristocrats are the same as Big B ones except for the engraving.
Serial number 330xxx dates it about 1950. Buescher were still making good saxophones at that time, it's the later ones that became poorer quality.

So this is a high-quality sax. I'm not an expert, but £700 sounds high to me, though not outrageous if it is in good order. I doubt if you will get a better-sounding modern sax for that price, but the ergonomics will not be as good as a modern instrument. You could get a good second-hand Yamaha YAS-280 alto for less.

If I was considering buying this sax, it would bother me that the seller is claiming it is a Big-B if it isn't.

if it's been recently serviced and repadded it might be worth £700..
most of the collectors value of vintage saxes seems to be down to the condition, if it's near mint then that's a good sign, but check for small dents and wear and tear in the keywork and see if it's been relacquered - this article has some useful info on spotting a relacquered horn - About Relacquers | WWS

and of course give it a good blow and see if you like it - a wise musician once told me to never buy a musical instrument unless if feels like it's yours.
If you have any doubts or it just doesn't feel quite right, then it may not be the one for you

According to SaxPics, the Series III Aristocrats are the same as Big B ones except for the engraving.
Serial number 330xxx dates it about 1950. Buescher were still making good saxophones at that time, it's the later ones that became poorer quality.

So this is a high-quality sax. I'm not an expert, but £700 sounds high to me, though not outrageous if it is in good order. I doubt if you will get a better-sounding modern sax for that price, but the ergonomics will not be as good as a modern instrument. You could get a good second-hand Yamaha YAS-280 alto for less.

If I was considering buying this sax, it would bother me that the seller is claiming it is a Big-B if it isn't.

Thanks. I think he might just be confused because the big b looks the same as the series 3 but not the engraving.

I will give it a go as I much prefer vintage actions to the modern ones such as my Yamaha custom v my selmer m6.

if it's been recently serviced and repadded it might be worth £700..
most of the collectors value of vintage saxes seems to be down to the condition, if it's near mint then that's a good sign, but check for small dents and wear and tear in the keywork and see if it's been relacquered - this article has some useful info on spotting a relacquered horn - About Relacquers | WWS

and of course give it a good blow and see if you like it - a wise musician once told me to never buy a musical instrument unless if feels like it's yours.
If you have any doubts or it just doesn't feel quite right, then it may not be the one for you

I don't think it has been relaquered and I don't know about the servicing so I will check that out. The pads look in good condition and everything sounds good when they seal closed.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom