support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Budget tyres

Tommy Ng

Locality
South Yorkshire
Hi

I have been using budget tyres all the time. It costs me about £65 each for a 225/45/17 tyre. I compute quite a lot, 80 miles a day. Wonder if there is a benefit to use good tyres, i think a good tyre at this size would cost me about £150.

:confused:

I always use decent ones - Bridgestone Turanza in my case. For my 205 section tyres they are about £90 fitted. They last a lot longer than cheapo ones, typically 25,000 milews on the front and 40,000 on the rear. That makes them pretty good value.

No difference in my experience. I've got a 2.8 BMW Z3 that I have used Michelin Pilots on and mid-range budget tyres, and have seen no difference in longevity. The cheapies do ride a bit harsher though.

You can buy good tyres at a low cost in Germany. Ok, you should add the freightcost. But I think it's worth it. Can be a trouble to get them on. Most firms want to sell both time and tyres. It's like this in Sweden.

Bloody Tired ....

I wish it was a damn sight easier for me to get some cheaper tyres ...

I had 2 new ones for the rear of my BMW 745 last month ...

To replace with the originals [a Bentley Tyre] cost £245 each !!! :shocked:

I spent a couple of days attempting to find cheapo's but in the end there was very little financial saving and a load of buggering about to get them collected so I went with the dearer ones.

Yesterday, for my wife's car [a BMW 740] I was given an advisory while it was being serviced - 2 replacement tyres are required very soon ...

:shocked: Bummer!!

PS - Yeah! Yeah! I know - You don't have to tell me - lmao :w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:
You're complaining.... a colleague's Porsche got a flat the other day. Had to replace 2 tyres, otherwise it would have been unbalanced and dangerous. well into 4 figures. Same guy got an engine warning light yesterday. Turned out the exhaust had split - 700 euros to replace.... And the car's only 2 and a half years old.... He says the Porsche dealers are always very friendly....

On the tyre story, the ADAC (German AA equivalent) do some rigouous testing of tyres... Noise, grip, wet grip, cornering are all tested. The differences between the top and cheap brands are staggering... And there are big differences between the top brands as well. I always fit the best I can get. They last longer, perform (grip) better - especially under adverse conditions and in emergency situations. In short they're a lot safer. And that's been something close to my heart since a friend was killed many yuears ago by a retread blowing out on a car in which he was a passenger. Car rolled... driver was lucky, passenger not.

I really don't know where some of these tyre places get there prices from I've never paid much more than £100 a corner on any car I've had, my JAAG (SORRY SUNRAY) gets the original spec PIRRELLI P6000 £110 each fitted (good for 30 thou) great ride. A Honda Itegra I've owned for some time cost a similar amount for ZR 205 45 17ns yoko's and the budgets aren't much less money so why bother, but I'm sure some car makers design in weird and wonderful tyre sizes so you can only have a specific tyre on there cars at great cost to the punter. I had a friend who had to replace a couple on a mondeo of all things and couldn't get a tyre for less than nearly £200 reconed they were the only ones available for that particular model WHAT A RIP OFF.But if you run high end stuff I suspect you should expect this,BUDGET OR PREMIUM ALWAYS PREMIUM BUT LOOK AROUND THERE CAN BE MASSIVE VARIATION IN THE PRICES OF PREMIUM TYRES.

I must admit as it's the tyres that are between me and the road I tend to stick with 'brand' names eg Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli etc The cheap one are probably as good but I'm not prepared to take a chance to save a few quid. I do shop around and, has been stated previously, have found startling price differences for the same tyre.

Several years ago I'd a BMW 5 series (1995 bought secondhand) Only when I went to change a couple of tyres did I discover that BMW had a number of wheels left over from the original Z1 and put them on the 5 series in 1995. These were metric sized and only one manufacturer made tyres to fit (Dunlop) It cost me about £250 per tyre back around 1999

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Colindbelfast. Why spend an inordinate amount on a car and then scrimp on only things that stops you spinning off into oblivion. Those four bits of rubber. I try not to get the best quality tyres i can afford. Appreciate that we don't all have bottomless bank accounts but a car is a luxury. I put four tyres on mine this summer cost me a grand. I do get peed off though with run flats which is what i have as they say they can't repair them. won't get run flats again, make the ride a bit hard.
Way petrol prices are going though think the push bike will get a bit more airing soon.

Just re-read my post, meant to say " I try to get the best quality tyres i can afford" Sorry trying to do to many things at once...

I just got 4 budget tyres for my CMax. £58 each. The cheapest branded were Avons at £94. I was going to have those and said to bloke, "presumably they'll last longer". He said, probably , but that that budget tyres were getting much better these days, so I got them!!

I would never buy budget tyres though I'm sure they're not all bad. Just bought 4 new ones for my car, managed to get 60% off Pirelli P Zero's from Kwickfit by ordering/booking online.

I really don't know where some of these tyre places ....... 8< ....... Polite Snip ....... 8< .......

I've had, my JAAG (SORRY SUNRAY) ....... 8< ....... snipy snip snip ....... 8< .......

Oh! Mate ....

I am so sorry to hear that ... Never mind, one day you should be able to get rid of it and get something a little sexier ... :))) - Lmao - :))) - A JAG - [OMG] :w00t:

*Sunray grins*

Must say, like Phil, I always go for known quality/make tyres. Only serious acident I ever had in a car was many years ago when inferior tyres let go on a wet road bend. Not my car though and I was luck to walk away with only a bruised wrist when I should have been in hospital at least.
OG, you'll have to get rid of that Rolls. It'll never fit in the Kwik Fit tyre bays.
YC

Can I keep the 917 Longtail, YC?

Good for popping down the shops.

Of course, Bill. Mind you, once we get the V8 fitted to your Zimmer, tyres for it will be a real problem. I've asked Orange County Choppers to do the exhausts like straight sopranos.
YC

I just paid £88 for a pair of front tyres on my Polo Bluemotion 2.
Mind you the previous tyres were on the car from new - sadly only 17k miles - rather short IMHO.
One saving grace is that the car does 82 to the gallon, so some you win, some you lose.

hi all
just had two front tyres, went in to get budget but he gave me a price and said mind you mate i can do micherlin for (i can't remember the prices)an extra ten quid for the brand name tyres. so went for them well worth it .

Have you looked at blackcircles.com?
They might be a bit cheaper £120-£130.

Oh! Mate ....

I am so sorry to hear that ... Never mind, one day you should be able to get rid of it and get something a little sexier ... :))) - Lmao - :))) - A JAG - [OMG] :w00t:

*Sunray grins*

Sorry I refuse to be drawn on this we JAAG drivers are above all that,we're all bounders though>:)