All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

budget priced cello recommendations anyone?

Pauline

Subscriber
Don't know anyone to ask so thought all you lovely people might be able to help.

My son's girlfriend used to play the cello and it sounds like she would like to get back to it but doesn't actually have a cello of her own. My son thinks it would be a lovely surprise to get her one for Christmas but hasn't a clue what to get and can't afford to spend a lot. I haven't a clue either but being well aware of the pitfalls of buying cheap instruments - don't want a cello-shaped object for example :shocked:- I thought maybe someone here might have some recommendations.
I see that Gear4Music has one at £175 but is it any good?
Any help would be much appreciated!:welldone

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
We paid more about that for a reasonable bow earlier this year.

So don't expect too much. However I know nothing about cellos, except that good ones are very expensive.

I took a look at Thomann. They've got some cellos in that range. At the very least try and get something with solid (not laminated) back and top.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?xsid=7f8d45b3992232d318c9cacbfaf41313&sw=cello

And don't forget to budget for a bow, rosin, case/gigbag....

nakedlunch

Personally I would have thought not. I used to play the violin to quite a high standard many years back and I know that stringed instruments are very costly - more than the price of an equivalent standard sax, for instance. Buying a new cello for £175 is probably not the best idea, therefore. However, it does depend on what level player she was when she last played. If only grade 1 or 2, and is thus a beginner, you would be better off picking up something second hand - you may get a bargain. If she was at a much higher level then it is unlikely you will pick up anything of a suitable standard for under £200 - you would have to add a 0 to the figure! Either way, if your son does decide to buy a cello then I would recommend getting a second hand one - you may pick up an absolute bargain, one 4 or 5 times better quality than a new one. Plus, in the string world second hand instruments are usually preferred than buying brand new ones - it's to do with playing them in and shaping the sound with years of practice on the one instrument.

Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

Hi Pauline!

Stentor is one of the best student cello makers - you should find a used set (3/4 or 4/4) for around £200 - there is one on ebay currently for £195 - they are highly recommended in this price range by a number of reputable dealers in UK, such as Normans.

Kind regards
Tom

Sunray

This is kind of Important ...

A sort of quote ...
So It sounds like your sons lady could be interested in getting back to playing ...
and .....

polite snip ..................... 8< .....................

This is an important issue for you guys ...

Just ask Her!! - forget the surprise ...

The lady concerned will have her own opinion and will know what she would like [or not], she will also be better informed about cello's one than most if not all of us ...

This is quite a big decision for you guys to make on your own [even wiv our EXPERT help - lmao :)))] ...

The lady concerned "would more than likely want to be involved in this sort of decision" than the lovely surprise - well that's what I reckon anyway ...

I don't want to be a killjoy ... but hey "this ain't perfume your buying her" - I hope that helps ... ;}

PS - No disrespect intended ...

TomMapfumo

Shame on you.....................:shocked::w00t:;}

No, it could be an expensive mistake, especially if she'd prefer to have a trumpet........I know I would (or a trombone, which has the same range...;})

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Pauline

Subscriber
Thanks folks!
Some very good points made there Sunray ...
However, he wouldn't have thought about if she hadn't kept mentioning it herself. I think the one she learnt on was a school instrument so probably wasn't that brilliant but must have been ok.

A second-hand one is a very good idea and thanks Tom for providing a name to look out for. :welldone I'll pass this on to my son and also do a bit of digging around for other second-hand cello sales.

My son is learning the guitar, my husband is still attempting the penny whistle which OG gave him and I have my tenor sax. Do you think we could make up a quartet?:)))

Nick Cook

My son has a cello that he hasn't used in a few years. He keeps saying he wants to start playing it again, but never does!!! I could ask him if he wants to sell it, if you like?

Pauline

Subscriber
That would be great Nick but don't let him do anything he might later regret.
I assume it is a full size cello?
Do you know what the make is?
Thanks for your help :)

Nick Cook

Hi Pauline,

Yes, it is full size, but I don't remember the make. We bought it privately through his music teacher about 12 years ago for about £500. It has a soft case, but the zip has gone. We got the bow restrung (is that the term??) just after he got it.

I'll try and find out the make tonight, but I don't think I'll be seeing him 'til tomorrow to ask if he's interested in selling it.

Pauline

Subscriber
Nick, it sounds like a decent cello.
I'd be grateful if you would ask him but I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to keep it!

Nick Cook

Hi Pauline,

Son only came in just as we went to bed last night, but he seemed interested in selling it. He didn't know the make, but we're going to have a look at it tonight.

Nick Cook

Hi Pauline, we got the cello out last night, the label inside says "Michael Poller, Producator De Vioara, Bucuresti". We looked it up on t' internet and they seem to be a bona fide manufacturer.

It's quite tatty round the edges and the soft case is nothing special, but it sounded nice. He didn't say how much he wanted for it, but there's quite a bit of distance between us, and I don't really want to trust it in the post. If you are interested, are you likely to be down this way anytime?

Pauline

Subscriber
Yes I was thinking the distance might be a problem and it would be heck of job to get it through the post!
I don't have any plans to travel that way myself but I'll have a word with my son to see if he is able to and if he is still interested. Some idea of what you might be asking for it would be useful.
Thanks ever so much Nick for your help, I really appreciate your taking the time and effort.:welldone
I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom