All profit supporting   special needs music

Budding Saxophone Beast from the North East (of England)

S

saxophool

Hi,

I've had a sax for five months now, though I spent one of those on holiday in China, so I've been practicing for four. My sax is a Trevor James Classic II tenor saxophone. I've never had an interest in music before, so buying it was a gamble but it's one I haven't regretted so far. In fact, I can't believe I never tried playing until now, I love it!!!

One thing I love about the saxophone is that I have to use so much of my body to control it - I need to use the right fingerings, control my embouchure, breathing, and use my brain to play/read music and/or improvise.

I have an inch-deep, mile wide knowledge of music and I listen to lots of different things. I'm open to learning lots of different styles and have a tutor who's helping me along, but at the moment I'm happiest either improvising (badly) or trying to cover video game/anime music (badly).

I'm 23 and work as an engineer in the NHS. I'm married and live in Newcastle up in the north east. I think it's great here as it's my ideal mix of urban/country, with Northumberland and the Lake District nearby, and the city is very compact so commuting isn't a bother.

I've used this website a number of times in the past to answer my questions, and I think joining a community is an important step in picking up and mastering a hobby, so I'm eager to get to know you all and I hope I can learn a lot from everybody here. :)

Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Welcome to the cafe, lots of help here, have fun learning :)

Jx

Andrew Sanders

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Locality
Ilkley West Yorkshire
It's not a hobby it's an obsession. Welcome from doon sooth.

kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Big welcome from even further south. Have fun here.

S

saxophool

Hi guys,

Thanks for the messages.

I'll make sure I have fun. :stoat:

ac30kev

ac30kev

Too old for a six-pack, it's now a sax-pack
Locality
United Kingdom Manchester-ish
Welcome to the finest sax site this side of Phobos.
No, that's official.

Sue

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
Durham
Hello and welcome from County Durham, although I spend a lot of time in Newcastle or just over the bridge at the Sage. Wonderful countryside in both Durham and Northumberland, great coastline and beaches and more importantly fabulous shopping :)

If you're looking to play with other people there is a great adult programme there - Adult Learning Programme: Saxophone & Wind Instruments

trimmy

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Welcome to the Cafe

Enjoy the journey :)

Ann Enfield

Ann Enfield

Ann, Enfield
Locality
Enfield, Middlesex
Welcome from the London area, great bunch people here. Loads of information and advice. Enjoy

mpj.brennan

mpj.brennan

Persistent Pensioner
Locality
Rowlands Gill, UK
Warm welcome @saxophool. Check out the Jazz Co-op in Newcastle if you aren't already aware of it. Good music, lots of good advice and friendly atmosphere.

Reactions: Sue
J

Justin Chune

Locality
The Athens of The North
Hello and welcome to the cafe.

Jim.