All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
Tutorials

Rock & Pop Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland

Chris98

This was one of those tunes that first got me excited about the sax, one day I'll sit down and work it out.

The sax solo kicks in around 4min 20

All the best,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobby G

I always loved that solo, at least in part because of the rolling chord sequence that it's built on - all very emotional, towering and overwhelming. Having got used to the album version, don't you find the tempo of this live take makes it drag slightly? I kept waiting for them to just, kinda, pick it up a little....

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Hi Bobby,

Yeap, it's a great solo but I think the the album version is more soulful, and your right the tempo is just a bit too self-indulgent in this youtube video.

In the "Born To Run' box set is a DVD, I haven't looked at it in a few years but I seem to remember that Clarence Clemons and Bruce Springsteen were talking about how they painstakingly built that solo up note by note until they got it just right and then they went for a take of it.

All the best,

Chris

Bobby G

Hi Bobby,

Yeap, it's a great solo but I think the the album version is more soulful, and your right the tempo is just a bit too self-indulgent in this youtube video.

In the "Born To Run' box set is a DVD, I haven't looked at it in a few years but I seem to remember that Clarence Clemons and Bruce Springsteen were talking about how they painstakingly built that solo up note by note until they got it just right and then they went for a take of it.

All the best,

Chris
I'm disappointed now Chris, I never realised it was 'painstakingly constructed'. I always thought the solo was more spontaneous and from the heart/soul than that. Still love it though!

OP
Chris98

Chris98

I'm disappointed now Chris, I never realised it was 'painstakingly constructed'. I always thought the solo was more spontaneous and from the heart/soul than that. Still love it though!
Hi Bobby,

I'll dig out the DVD and double check, I'd hate to have destroyed the illusion of a great and spontaneous solo unnecessarily.

All the best,

Chris

chadders

I never 'got' Bruce Springsteen at all !! People used to rave and eulogize about him but I always found his music dull/flat, and I thought him a talentless arse who got lucky. I quite like the saxophone in this though !!

thomsax

I've talked with prof rockmusicians and asked why we don't hear other bands/ musicians doing songs by Bruce Springsteen. I got roughly the same answer form all. To do a Springsteen song well needs; three good singers, at least two good guitars and keys what a very tight. Of course the band who is going to do a Springsteen song should have energy and play in a very tight way. Just a few bands/constellations is able to do this.

To learn the saxsolo is quite easy, if you have done your longtone- and overtone-practising well. I learned it by ear in 1976. I recorded the solo at an old recorder and took down the speed to half and played a long on my sax an octave down. Primitive, but it worked. But to add the energy and power, it's needs real dedicated person like Clarence Clemons. And that's very hard to copy!!

Thomas

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
I was first introduced to Springsteen and the E street Band live at the nec in 1979/1980 - I think it was The Born To Run Tour. I thought then that The Big Man was fantastic and still do - an outstanding saxophonist (imho) Saw them live a few times and they had such energy and presence. I love this solo and think it was probably a huge influence in me wanting to play sax. Thanks Chris - I must dig out that box set and have another listen soon.

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Hi Bobby,

I just found the section in the DVD and I think Clarence Clemons explains it best:

“The Jungleland thing was the most intricate collaboration in the history of my life with Bruce Springsteen.”

And then a bit further on, “16 hours standing in front of a microphone working out every note, every line.”

“When I finished it and listened to it, when they had put it together, it was like wow! This is really great.”

There is a small section on the DVD where they play just the sax track, and if I ever get close to sounding like that on my tenor I’ll be a very happy man.

However it came about it’s still one of my favorite sax solos and didn’t he look great in that white suit and hat.

All the best,

Chris

Bobby G

Don't knock 'The Boss' too much or I'll send the boys round. >:)

He did a good Folkie gig on Beeb Four recently and sounded convincing in his delivery and the Band were unusual and good.
If you're talking about the Seeger Sessions band, Bill, I have to agree but overall I can take or leave the Boss even though I recognise his talent. Being touted early on as 'the new Dylan' or 'I have seen the future of rock'n'roll and it is called Bruce Springsteen' can't have been easy to live up to, and he's certainly proved he has staying power and isn't afraid to go off on a bit of a tangent once in a while.

chadders

Don't knock 'The Boss' too much or I'll send the boys round. >:)

:shocked: As long as they dont make me listen to any of his albums....

Bobbys comment about Bruce being the new Dylan is interesting for me cause I never really got Dylan either. There was never anything I heard that made me think I must hear more. Too many lyrics, not enough notes.

Chad

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Did something go hideously wrong with style in the 80s?

Clarence Clemons rocking out with his own band, not sure about the bow tie though! And look how high up the sling attaches to his sax.

Apparently Cuban reeds are the way to go!

All the best,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

thomsax

Nice clip. CC is still playing this song, "From Small Things, Big Things Come". A Springsteen song that Dave Edmunds recorded in 1982 or 1983.

I don't think this is CC's own band. Red Banks Rockers was a lagre band and they did most of the gigs at Clemons own club, Big Man's West in Red Bank by the coast in New Jersey. The musicians on the clip are Paul Schaffer (keys), Sid McGinnis (gtr), Will Lee (bass) and Anton Fig (drm). It's the rhythm section of The CBS Orchestra. The ordinary saxplayer in CBS Orch is Bruce Kaplar.

Clarence Clemons is backed up with a very good band!!

Thomas

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Clarence Clemons rocking out with his own band, not sure about the bow tie though! And look how high up the sling attaches to his sax.
It's Springsteen's band, he says so somewhere in the interview - and the strap's more like a guitar strap - it attaches at the bell as well, look as he takes it off or the interview - and where he shows the sax to the interviewer..

thomsax

It's really not a big thing ... but the first version of Red Bank Rockers at Big Man's West were the following guys: Clarence Clemons(ts,vcl), J.T.Bowen(vcl), Jack Scarangella(drm), Jeff Levine(keys), Harvey Brooks(bass), Jon Landau (gtr) Colin Tilton (sax). I have recordings with this band from Big Man's West. They are doing songs from the album "Rescue" but there are also some Otis Reddings songs added to songlist. Clemons is also doing a burning version of "Georgia On My Mind" on the recording. In the studio he used other musicians except J.T.Bowen. I doubt CBS Orchestra were on the paylist at the club ... but who knows?

Thomas

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Nice clip. CC is still playing this song, "From Small Things, Big Things Come". A Springsteen song that Dave Edmunds recorded in 1982 or 1983.

I don't think this is CC's own band. Red Banks Rockers was a lagre band and they did most of the gigs at Clemons own club, Big Man's West in Red Bank by the coast in New Jersey. The musicians on the clip are Paul Schaffer (keys), Sid McGinnis (gtr), Will Lee (bass) and Anton Fig (drm). It's the rhythm section of The CBS Orchestra. The ordinary saxplayer in CBS Orch is Bruce Kaplar.

Clarence Clemons is backed up with a very good band!!

Thomas
Isn't it Steve Gadd on drums in the clip?

Steve Gadd

thomsax

I think you're right! It looks like Steve Gadd. I didn't look so close at the other musicians. And now I'm not shure if it's Sid McGinnis on guitar .... . But it's the Big Man!!! The clip is from 84-85??

Thomas

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom