All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Brilhart Mouthpieces?

Elliot G.

I’ve currently been looking into getting a new mouthpiece for my new sax (A little bit of GAS.. (; ) I was looking at vintage mouthpieces for the fun of it and came across Brilhart mouthpieces. They go for a pretty good price at times so I was wondering if they’re even worth it?
AE733478-5B79-402D-82C9-93A4B43AAEA5.jpeg

3BBE095C-4B00-423A-AB64-5094D9F958FE.jpeg

Above is some pictures of them. I’ve never seen mouthpieces like this so I’m genuinely curious to learn more about them.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Many great saxophone players used Brilhart mouthpieces at some time, including Charlie Parker (I think), Johnny Hodges and Lester Young.
I have a couple of them. The ones I have are good, but not great.

They were mostly made from plastic, and the shafts have a tendency to crack, so you will often see them with metal bands round the shank.

Note that the Brilhart tip size opening numbers are different from everyone else's.

The Theo Wanne site has some good information

Upvote 0

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
The second mouthpiece in the original post does not appear to have a serial number, so I doubt if it is very valuable.

Upvote 0

Phil

Commercial Supporter
Yes, the price is high for a non serial number Brilhart. Also, the tip size is a roulette game with Brilharts unless someone has actually measured it. As said, they easily crack...afterall, its probably 60+ year old plastic. Good pieces though. I make a piece based off of them for about the same price.

Anyway, nice pieces but IMHO asking too much.

Upvote 0

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Subscriber
I really like them. First had an alto then a tenor, both very nice. I got my hands on a second tenor that was cheap but butchered and sent it to @Phil who did marvels and it's my best tenor mouthpiece with my PPTs. My tenor pieces were made in england and have a ring to prevent the frequently observed crack.

I would agree with Phil on prices.

Upvote 0

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Honestly...I have a couple of Ebolin contemporary ones, new-ish...they are pretty good for a $50-ish mouthpiece. They were available new, all over the place up until around summer, now most purveyors seem sold out of them. These are not, of course, the 'classic' vintage Ebolins, but IMHO still pretty respectable.

Anyone know why they might be 'almost unavailable' now ? Did they stop producing 'em ?

I think it is the old Tonalins which have the shank-crack problem, notsomuch the Ebolins (?)

Plenty on eBay brilhart tenor ebolin | eBay

Just be discerning regarding condition.....you wouldn't want to buy a used mouthpiece which then needs $75 of mouthpiece tech tweaking...

Personally, given a choice between a vintage Brilly online for $200 (if seller is not pretty much guaranteeing it is in fine, fine, shape or $ back) and something like Phil's new, hand-made/finished model which is based off of Brilly specs for the same price....I'd go for the latter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Elliot G.

I've been researching and I've decided to go with a standard Otto Link Metal mouth piece! I'll be doing a bit more research before I order but I'm pretty sure it'll be the best for me.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom