All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Bottom C# has become difficult to hit

Profusia

Locality
Worcestershire
So my curvy sop's bottom C# has become somewhat unreliable and a tadge unstable. If I go to it from a neighbouring note I can usually get it. But trying to jump down to it from any sizeable interval is hopeless. Bottom D and C are fine. I'm wondering if the bottom C# could be over-venting. I've never changed the felts and they really do need doing so I could well believe it could be something like that. Any other ideas?

Next question... Best place to read up on, or watch a good video on, DIY changing felts? :)

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
Check th the g# key is remaining fully closed (it should be held shut by any of the rh stack, courtesy of a little linking arm).

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Trouble down low can be a leak up top. Fixing what's not wrong is an endless task.
Could be Bis, G#, rh stack regulation, lh pinky table, C pad leak, neck cork leak, mouthpiece position. Also dirty mouthpiece internals or bore. Duff reed.

Soprano is so small. I need to put my reading glasses on to inspect it.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
Check th the g# key is remaining fully closed (it should be held shut by any of the rh stack, courtesy of a little linking arm).
I think this is the most likely cause. Low C# is a pretty robust note - like all the others that speak when a key is raised.
There's really not a lot to go wrong. If the notes above and below work fine, there's usually no reason why an intermediary note should cause problems.

The standard check for a misregulated G# is to play a soft/subtone low D or C and press the G# key down. If the tone changes in the slightest (usually gets weaker), you need to tweak the adjuster above the G# key cup a little.

Profusia

Locality
Worcestershire
Thanks everyone. I'll experiment with the G# key and cup for starters and report back if it proves to be the issue.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom