Tutorials

BOTM September 2019 - Someone To Watch Over Me

randulo

Playing saxophone 20 months - 2.3% of my life
Subscriber
I think this is one of the richest improvisations on the tune:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmXtih_Az40

As easily as you can recognize Sonny's style, he has more ideas to throw out there than most. Just 54 seconds in, after a simple statement of the melody, he's already getting bluesy in the bridge. The second version of the bridge is full of more soul and "radical", but tuneful phrases. This is IMO his forté. He goes out there just enough to keep it interesting, with a lot of rhythmic sophistication. Worth studying.

mrpeebee

I just listened to those recordings and love them @mrpeebee . I think the tune suits your style very well and vice versa !

Nicely recorded too. What backing track was that you used ?

Rhys
Thank you very much Rhys. :)

I got this backing from B Flat, who was hosting this tune as Beginner/Intermediate TOTM on SOTW back in May 2015. Let me know if you would like to get a copy, I'm sure B Flat won't mind sharing it.

Pete Effamy

When I was in my early teens I would stay up late and watch the Johnny Carson show just to hear Doc Severinson and his big band. Everytime they came back from a commercial break they would often be into this great tenor solo that Johnny would cut off in the middle---something I never forgave him for. It was years later that I found out the great tenor soloist in Doc's band was a young Pete Christlieb, and I have followed him ever since. He is probably the best tenor player not many people have ever heard of.
Yes great player. I only got to know of him through his Steely Dan solos. For a while I thought it must be Tom Scott, as they can sound similar occasionally, but obviously it wasn't and I looked him up.

hedgehog

I love singletrack.
Subscriber
Lovely tone, especially in the low register. Oh, and I like the blue notes here and there. They make perfect sense. I struggle with intonation, also. It's a challenge...ongoing, but worthwhile. Thanks for posting.

OP
nigeld

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Well, here is a rough and ready recording.
With a very rarely recorded attempt at my part on improvisation!
Nothing rough about that - very smooth in fact. :cool:
And a very nice piece of improvisation - you should do it more often.

rhysonsax

I've got a saxophone quartet arrangement for this by Karen Street in the "Fairer Sax Ensemble Book 2". It's arranged for AAAT or SAAT, so I used soprano lead but there's no baritone here.

I played it to a click track and we couldn't quite agree how the "poco rit." at the end would go. One of me was probably right.

Someone to Watch Over Me - Sax Quartet 4 x Rhys V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

Pete Effamy

I've got a saxophone quartet arrangement for this by Karen Street in the "Fairer Sax Ensemble Book 2". It's arranged for AAAT or SAAT, so I used soprano lead but there's no baritone here.

I played it to a click track and we couldn't quite agree how the "poco rit." at the end would go. One of me was probably right.

Rhys
Excellent, I used to do this but not for a while - one of me got upset when the others had a go at me for my mistakes..
Rhys, the biggest improvement to your playing would be the addition of vibrato. It would transform it instantly. Can you not use vib? If not, what do you find hard? If you do have a go with some vib, it’s usual to under do it, so be bold.

OP
nigeld

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber

Rhys
Well done - that sounded great. :)

On the very rare occasions that I have tried to do a multi-track recording, all of me agreed beforehand that the piece would be played in strict tempo throughout. (Though I'm not claiming that we all managed to do that.)

Mark Hancock

Rhys
That's brilliant Rhys. I played it while we had dinner - the girls liked it too. I felt like reaching for the Pimms at one point.

Top Bottom