BOTM September 2019 - Someone To Watch Over Me

mrpeebee

Here are four oldies recorded in May 2013:

1. - 'Someone To Watch Over Me (1970;s Early Babbitt 8* - La Voz medium):

2. - ;Someone To Watch Over Me' (1950's Florida no USA 9 - La Voz medium):

3. - 'Someone To Watch Over Me' (modern New Vintage Tone Master 10* - La Voz medium):

4. - 'Someone To Watch Over Me' (1940's Tone Master 8 - La Voz medium):

Ne0Wolf7

A few years back my friend Hakukani on SOTW turned me on to a trombone/low brass player by the name of Slyde Hyde with whom he had the opportunity to play some gigs with in Hawaii when he was still living there. He also introduced me to the album "Late Night Jazz" that Slyde made with tenor player Pete Christlieb that quickly became one of my all time favorites. Most of the album features Slyde on trombone and euphonium, but Pete is featured on "Someone to Watch Over Me". I hope folks at the cafe enjoy his version as much as I do.

Did you just tell us that Slyde plays the slide trombone? :)

OP
nigeld

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber

3. - 'Someone To Watch Over Me' (modern New Vintage Tone Master 10* - La Voz medium):

Excellent playing, as always. :)
My favourite of the mouthpieces today was number 4 - 1940's Tone Master 8, but I suspect that tomorrow I might prefer a different one.

jbtsax

Subscriber
You think it might be a nickname? Was the trumpet player called Val(ve)? ;)
I don't mean to "hijack" this thread, but here is some information about "Slyde Hyde" for those who may be interested. Sadly he passed away in July of this year. His recording credits show that he was a "first call" studio musician on low brass for many years.

In terms of interesting musician names and nicknames, we have a local piano player whose actual name is Press (Preston) Keys. :) Harmonica virtuoso "Toots" Thielmans also goes by one of my favorite nicknames.

randulo

Playing saxophone 20 months - 2.3% of my life
Subscriber
Less talk, more music! :old:
I have been known by many names, including but not limited to Johnny Staccato, and The Tickler.

randulo

Playing saxophone 20 months - 2.3% of my life
Subscriber
Really nice improvisation. (I personally am finding it hard to develop ideas on this tune...because I've run out of talent.) Very pleasant ballad tone, too.
It's huge challenge at slow tempos with a fairly simple harmony. The only thing I could think of is some riffs between phrases of the melody, but that's just embellishment. Question-response phrases work nicely, too. Coltrane was very good with both in ballads.

Mark Hancock

Really nice improvisation. (I personally am finding it hard to develop ideas on this tune...because I've run out of talent.) Very pleasant ballad tone, too.
Me too. On the slow version the 3 bars of G (Bb version) to the D6 seem very stagnant. I had a go yesterday at approaching the D6 with a II-v7 (Em7 - A7) which helps. They fit quite nicely over the original G, especially since the original melody has a C# in it.

I have even been trying out A7 Alt on the bar before the D6, but it's really hit or miss with me. Sometimes it sounds quite good and sometimes absolutely terrible. I'm not sure what the trick is there.

rhysonsax

I just listened to those recordings and love them @mrpeebee . I think the tune suits your style very well and vice versa !

Nicely recorded too. What backing track was that you used ?

Rhys

Di in France

Thank you, I found it tricky. I haven't done any recording in ages too so need to really find a good way to do that. I used audacity and added automatic reverb, I think it's a little too much too.

Top Bottom