PPT mouthpieces

BOTM Sept-2016:- Fly me to the Moon

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Ok guys, this one is down to me :) While it might not be one of those smokey night club jazz ballads,>:) it's still a ballad;) Also it's relatively easy to play;) so everyone can try a version:)

Everything you need is in the link below:)

"Fly Me To The Moon"

Looking forward to some great versions of this one.

Here's a couple of videos for ideas.

Have fun :)

Chris..:)

Oh no, swing...I'm hopeless at swing. I get the concept, the first note it played longer than the second note...I usually get it the wrong way round and play the second note longer than the first one :)

Oh no, swing...I'm hopeless at swing. I get the concept, the first note it played longer than the second note...I usually get it the wrong way round and play the second note longer than the first one :)
You have to get in the groove before you start playing. Listen to the drum beat and snap your fingers and tongue the rhythm with out the horn. Taaa Ta Ta Taaa, Ta Ta Taaa. Get that down and then tongue one note on the horn to the rhythm. Soon the swing will come.

I still write it on my score - like morse - dashes and dots!

Just sit down with the sheet music and play the backing, LISTEN to what is going on and get a feel for the music.
Then try tapping out the melody, when you can do that, then pick up the sax. Learning to do multiple tasks like swing, counting, reading music, playing in tune, good tone etc etc. Can't all be done in one bite, take it a little at a time.:)

You have to get in the groove before you start playing. Listen to the drum beat and snap your fingers.
Ah, this is where I go wrong...I usually work the beat out by nodding my head, easy to do with paranoid or immigrants song, but with swing, it doesn't work :)

I think this is the issue, zep, Sabbath, purple...none of the music I grew up with 'swings'...

I think this is the issue, zep, Sabbath, purple...none of the music I grew up with 'swings'...

Make it Rock then! >:)

May not feel/sound much like a ballad anymore, but it could be fun... :D

I didn't grow up with Swing either but it makes no difference. You either like it or you don't.

Last edited:
Of course for all of us who are struggling with the Tenor and saying it's just a little bit too big for us...Check this out at the ripe old age of 10! You'll have to go to YouTube to watch it - it is blocked on outside sites...It's worth the short trip over there! He's of course all grown up now and really makes some beautiful jazz...sorry about the off topic post but this kid just blew me away! Must be in the water...they don't grow them like that around here!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow !! Wow !! Wowzer !
I wish i hadn't watched that now, 10 yrs old......WOW :eek:
I know right!!! :eek:

He must have grown up listening and absorbing like a sponge. He has a real feel for the music and the sax.

@jimmylh great start to the month Jimmy, looking forward to an updated version:)
@Marcello same with you:) looking forward to an updated version, great version from last year:)

The way this one is being downloaded it risks breaking into the top 20>:)
Looks like there should be lots of versions to listen too:)

Chris...