support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM November 2019 - But Beautiful

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
It's in E so I'll learn it there. Great to have all the files to be able to both print lead sheets and transpose the track.

Here's a lovely alto version by Charles McPherson and another high calibre rhythm section.

And a tasty tenor recording by Peter Christlieb.

And a different recording by Stan Getz from earlier in his career, live with Bill Evans.

Rhys

Here's a lovely alto version by Charles McPherson and another high calibre rhythm section.

Rhys, all three use some serious vibrato. Coincidence? I think not, considering your recent post about it. :)

Brilliant playing, I think Charles really nails showing virtuosity in a frame of sensitivity. He's not shy, but it's all in good taste, it makes total sense. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but sometimes, when I hear something amazing in a solo, I kind of laugh, it tickles me. Several places in his playing gave me those moments. It's like disbelief that you can place that squiggle in the middle of the landscape and make it work. Respect, for all three.

@randulo found this one by Aubra Graves.
As usual, Aubra is not demonstrating the perfect posture for playing, and as usual it doesn't seem to matter a bit.

NEW VERSION
It's truly intimidating to listen to these and then try to play and record it, but I went ahead. I find the form challenging. The keys I've seen so far are E, F and G. I wanted to play along with the Nat King Cole, so I chose E, but discovered the Getz & Evans also chose E.
I hope to replace this take after a while with something more advanced, but as the cheerleader for BOTM/SOTM I always try to do my duty and start the bidding. Hope it's not too low.

View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/but-beautiful-with-an-ending

Last edited by a moderator:
It's truly intimidating to listen to these and then try to play and record it, but I went ahead. I find the form challenging. The keys I've seen so far are E, F and G. I wanted to play along with the Nat King Cole, so I chose E, but discovered the Getz & Evans also chose E.
I hope to replace this take after a while with something more advanced, but as the cheerleader for BOTM/SOTM I always try to do my duty and start the bidding. Hope it's not too low.

View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/but-beautiful

You are too modest, that was very good. Thank you for starting the ball rolling.
I'm not entirely sure about the ending though. It seemed to me possibly to lack the necessary gravitas. :rolleyes:

Most of us are not expecting to play at the same standard as the greats, or even at the same standard as the good players on this site, just as well as each of us can.

I think the original was written in G, though Bing Crosby sang it in D. I would expect each of the singers to transpose into a key that suited them and I see no reason why we shouldn't do the same, though concert E would not be my first choice for alto sax - too many sharps!

I'm not entirely sure about the ending though. It seemed to me possibly to lack the necessary gravitas. :rolleyes:
I agree, but on my copy, it just dies. There isn't even a final I chord. What is the problem with BiaB? It never does endings you can live with.

I agree, but on my copy, it just dies. There isn't even a final I chord. What is the problem with BiaB? It never does endings you can live with.

BIAB repeats and endings are just plain bad. o_O
I’ve found one way to make them work so I just stick to that.
But I can’t understand why they haven’t improved the user interface when they have done such a good job at generating tracks.

BIAB repeats and endings are just plain bad. o_O

What I usually do is to slap on a big piano chord and some drums at the end via midi. It isn't just bad, it either does a drum hit and stops or just stops. You need to post edit. Maybe I'll do that.

My method is to go into Song Settings and tell it to generate a 2-bar ending, not to generate a 4-bar ending for RealTracks, and maybe to start the ending 2 bars early. This usually seems to work.

My method is to go into Song Settings and tell it to generate a 2-bar ending, not to generate a 4-bar ending for RealTracks, and maybe to start the ending 2 bars early. This usually seems to work.
Thanks for the tip Nigel

The problem I always have is, even when the tag works properly, the last bar, with say, a fermata never works right. I recorded an ending for But Beautiful and updated the file.

Back
Top Bottom