PPT mouthpieces

BOTM - MAY 2021: Call Me (No, not Blondie)

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Hi,
thanks for choosing me as the host for May's BOTM.
I wanted to pick a tune which is not to complicated in terms of both melody and harmony, can be played in various styles and tempos. And yet has a bit of freshness left :)

My first thought was a tune called "On a (warm) misty night"
but there are so many versions with different chords that I changed my mind and thought of this lovely Bossa:

by the great Patricia Barber

or Frank Sinatra

I truly hope the tune is to your liking and count on your participation :)

(More than) thanks to @nigeld for providing the dots and the backing.

DOTS AND BACKINGS BY NIGELD

There is also a version in Hal Leonard Vol.40 "Bossa Nova".
I'm not sure about Aebersold, but there are some backings on Youtube.

Let the games begin!

For most months I find multiple versions of the SOTM/BOTM already in my music collection, but for this tune there are just a couple. This is nice from Archie Shepp and Horace Parlan:

Rhys

Don't turn around in front of the mic, it gives a lot different sounds. Luckily for you, I don't own any other saxes.
Ha,
according to the picture, I thought this would turn out into something swanish :)
Very interesting, very musical. Listening with my Neumann headphones I wish I'd hear still a bit more of the nice sounding Alto.
The bass of the backing is disturbing the listening pleasure a bit.
Otherwise - great!

Ha,
according to the picture, I thought this would turn out into something swanish :)
Very interesting, very musical. Listening with my Neumann headphones I wish I'd hear still a bit more of the nice sounding Alto.
The bass of the backing is disturbing the listening pleasure a bit.
Otherwise - great!
Really? I'll give it a listen and do a remix, thanks!

Remixed! The alto is still pretty sloppy, I'll probably submit another in a few days :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw the title, I was thinking 1965 jewellery ads on AM radio heard in rear car seats. Chris Montez' first hit, Let's Dance, was No.2 on the UK Singles Chart (spending four weeks there). The same singer recorded The More I see You and other middle of the road radio hits produced by Herb Alpert.

GO GO Dancers!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf4bXRMu3R4

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to play this tune in our jazz quartet as a bossa nova along with lots of Jobim tunes back when the bossa nova was popular. I wasn't familiar with the composer Tony Hatch so I did a search. It turns out he was a popular British composer who wrote many of Petula Clark's hit songs.

What I remember about the song is that the chord changes are an excellent way to learn how ii7 - V7 - I chords work and can take you from one key to another in the same melody when the I maj7 changes to a min7 and becomes the ii7 in the key a step lower.

Tony Hatch was on one of the panel judges on the 1970's talent show New Faces.. The nasty/honest one. The Simon Cowel of his day. Recycling has been around a while.

Tony Hatch was on one of the panel judges on the 1970's talent show New Faces.. The nasty/honest one. The Simon Cowel of his day. Recycling has been around a while.
He also played with Davy Jones and the Lower Third.

Here's a funky Latin organ + tenor sax version by the very talented Roy Budd with an unknown saxophonist. Nice playing but surely a contender for one of the worst endings on record.

Recorded in c 1970 and released as "John Brown Junior's Go-Go Music" - Yeah !

Rhys

Back
Top Bottom