support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM - MAY 2021: Call Me (No, not Blondie)

Guenne

Hi,
thanks for choosing me as the host for May's BOTM.
I wanted to pick a tune which is not to complicated in terms of both melody and harmony, can be played in various styles and tempos. And yet has a bit of freshness left :)

My first thought was a tune called "On a (warm) misty night"
but there are so many versions with different chords that I changed my mind and thought of this lovely Bossa:

by the great Patricia Barber

or Frank Sinatra

I truly hope the tune is to your liking and count on your participation :)

(More than) thanks to @nigeld for providing the dots and the backing.

DOTS AND BACKINGS BY NIGELD

There is also a version in Hal Leonard Vol.40 "Bossa Nova".
I'm not sure about Aebersold, but there are some backings on Youtube.

Let the games begin!

For most months I find multiple versions of the SOTM/BOTM already in my music collection, but for this tune there are just a couple. This is nice from Archie Shepp and Horace Parlan:

Rhys

Don't turn around in front of the mic, it gives a lot different sounds. Luckily for you, I don't own any other saxes.
Ha,
according to the picture, I thought this would turn out into something swanish :)
Very interesting, very musical. Listening with my Neumann headphones I wish I'd hear still a bit more of the nice sounding Alto.
The bass of the backing is disturbing the listening pleasure a bit.
Otherwise - great!

Ha,
according to the picture, I thought this would turn out into something swanish :)
Very interesting, very musical. Listening with my Neumann headphones I wish I'd hear still a bit more of the nice sounding Alto.
The bass of the backing is disturbing the listening pleasure a bit.
Otherwise - great!
Really? I'll give it a listen and do a remix, thanks!

Remixed! The alto is still pretty sloppy, I'll probably submit another in a few days :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to play this tune in our jazz quartet as a bossa nova along with lots of Jobim tunes back when the bossa nova was popular. I wasn't familiar with the composer Tony Hatch so I did a search. It turns out he was a popular British composer who wrote many of Petula Clark's hit songs.

What I remember about the song is that the chord changes are an excellent way to learn how ii7 - V7 - I chords work and can take you from one key to another in the same melody when the I maj7 changes to a min7 and becomes the ii7 in the key a step lower.

Here's a funky Latin organ + tenor sax version by the very talented Roy Budd with an unknown saxophonist. Nice playing but surely a contender for one of the worst endings on record.

Recorded in c 1970 and released as "John Brown Junior's Go-Go Music" - Yeah !

Rhys

Back
Top Bottom