BOTM May 2019. I loves you Porgy

rhysonsax

@Stephen Howard has just finished an overhaul on a Vito Leblanc alto that I bought because it was like the one played in the 60s by Johnny Hodges. The mechanism is like the Leblanc System saxes, so pretty complicated and I'm not sure Steve loved working on it (we wait for his review) but he did a fine job.

I think it needs to be played with the right mouthpiece and this was recorded with me playing an old Meliphone Special I have just bought. The backing track is from a Hal Leonard play along.

Rhys

Last edited:
OP
Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
@Stephen Howard has just finished an overhaul on a Vito Leblanc alto that I bought because it was like the one played in the 60s by Johnny Hodges. The mechanism is like the Leblanc System saxes, so pretty complicated and I'm not sure Steve loved working on it (we wait for his review) but he did a fine job.

I think it needs to be played with the right mouthpiece and this was recorded with me playing an old Meliphone Special I have just bought. The backing track is from a Hal Leonard play along.

Rhys
You are really getting into this tune, I enjoyed that with its brighter sound and higher pitch.

OP
Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
It is Southern American slang, I think? Or it could be lovers' baby talk to one another?
Not just Southern States, I have occasionally heard "I loves it" in the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland. However it is not considered "the Queen's English" and I suspect that the BBC would not condone it in their news broadcasts.:eek:

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Not just Southern States, I have occasionally heard "I loves it" in the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland. However it is not considered "the Queen's English" and I suspect that the BBC would not condone it in their news broadcasts.:eek:
In modern times, I agree it's very common everywhere but not perhaps so when the song was originally composed... perhaps?

OP
Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
After much trouble with the electronics and and an old relatively slow computer here is my version.
Once through with some deliberate improvisation (as opposed to accidental improvisation i.e. mistakes ) during the 2nd A section.
I have my beginners hat on (My music age is 4 years so I still count myself as a beginner) so those who wish to put their tutoring hats on please do so.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
After much trouble with the electronics and and an old relatively slow computer here is my version.
Once through with some deliberate improvisation (as opposed to accidental improvisation i.e. mistakes ) during the 2nd A section.
I have my beginners hat on (My music age is 4 years so I still count myself as a beginner) so those who wish to put their tutoring hats on please do so.
Nice sound, and I like the improvisation.

But to my ears there's something not quite right about the coordination between the solo and the backing.
I'm not certain, but I think you may have come in a bar too early at the beginning.

OP
Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
@nigeld " you may have come in a bar too early at the beginning."
With my timing abilities and ears that would not surprise me in the slightest, if you manage to work it out please tell me. I will have another listen when I get back from today's white water kayak trip.

Last edited:

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
The month is almost over, but there’s still time for last-minute entries.
The thread will stay open, so you can add a new recording any time.

Many thanks to @Rob Pealing for acting as host this month, and to all the contributors.

OP
Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
Last edited:
OP
Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
The month is almost over, but there’s still time for last-minute entries.
The thread will stay open, so you can add a new recording any time.

Many thanks to @Rob Pealing for acting as host this month, and to all the contributors.
Our thanks are also due to Nigel for his work on the backing tracks etc.
@nigeld Thank you for your help.

Top Bottom