Tutorials

BOTM May 2019. I loves you Porgy

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
I have the privilege of hosting this month's BOTM. Many thanks to @nigeld for working his magic and making the backing tracks and charts.

I Loves You Porgy is a ballad that did not grab me at all when first I heard Porgy and Bess, however it has grown on me. The vocalist who made me sit up and take notice is Clare Teal (Clare Teal - Wikipedia and Clare Teal - Singer and Broadcaster ) and this version in particular. There are also great versions by Nina Simone and Ella Fitzgerald.

It was written in 1935 and credited to George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin and Dubose Heyward (The author of the book, Porgy) and is part of the opera/show Porgy and Bess, however there is an interesting comment on the Cafe Songbook website.

The Charleston City Magazine endorses the Wikipedia assertion that Porgy was based on a real person and has some additional history.

The original key is concert F major (or D minor , I cannot work out which) however I think concert Bb major is easier for both Eb and Bb instruments.
The files are here. and are
-Notes in Concert, and for Bb and Eb instruments
- 2 Backing tracks that play the whole thing once-only (for those who don't want to improvise or want to keep it short) and twice at 60 bpm. There is a 4 bar intro.
- Example with vibraphone.
- Source files for BIAB, iReal Pro and MuseScore.
- and the lyrics.

Now a word for those who have never managed to screw up the courage to post a recording, have a go. You will only receive encouragement, and if you ask for it others will put their tutoring hats on. The coach's job is to encourage and improve, not knock down.

OP
Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
The Archie Shepp and Tommy Smith versions give us all something to aim for. I will be happy if I can get in the same direction as the target let alone hit it, and as for a bulls eye well to quote @Jeanette "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
Just looking at the sheet music for this, Eb version,. I can read music a bit but not properly

On the last couple of bars there is a 1 and 2 in brackets, I'm presuming you play from the beginning to the end of the 1 bracket, then continue to the bit where there's an A in a square and go through to the end. Am I on the right tracks? The other thing is what are the A's and B's in squares for?

Many Thanks

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
On the last couple of bars there is a 1 and 2 in brackets, I'm presuming you play from the beginning to the end of the 1 bracket, then continue to the bit where there's an A in a square and go through to the end. Am I on the right tracks? The other thing is what are the A's and B's in squares for?
Yes, you are right - the first time through, you play to the end of the 1 bracket, then go back to bar 5 and play to the end. But the second time you skip over the "1" bar and play the "2" bar instead.

The "A" and "B" in squares tell you about the structure of the piece - it has AABA form - 8 bars of melody, which is repeated, then 8 bars of something new, then the original melody once more.

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
Yes, you are right - the first time through, you play to the end of the 1 bracket, then go back to bar 5 and play to the end. But the second time you skip over the "1" bar and play the "2" bar instead.

The "A" and "B" in squares tell you about the structure of the piece - it has AABA form - 8 bars of melody, which is repeated, then 8 bars of something new, then the original melody once more.
Thanks, it all makes sense now

OP
Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
OP
Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

Subscriber

rhysonsax

I saw Alan Barnes on a gig last summer and as he swapped from alto to baritone he mentioned that his trumpet mate Bruce Adams would say at that point "same old stuff (actually a slightly ruder word), just an octave lower".

Here I am with same backing track and playing baritone:

Actually this is a bit of an experiment for me. I have a lovely Conn 12M bari but have never been able to play it in tune. I had a fun session with @diyaddict a couple of months ago playing various mouthpieces on his and my 12M horns (both early 1930s) and using the Intonation Station App that he developed to see what works and which notes are in/out of tune. Since then I have had the horn tweaked by my tech and also bought an old mouthpiece that seems to match it really well.

Rhys

B Flat

I saw Alan Barnes on a gig last summer and as he swapped from alto to baritone he mentioned that his trumpet mate Bruce Adams would say at that point "same old stuff (actually a slightly ruder word), just an octave lower".

Here I am with same backing track and playing baritone:

Actually this is a bit of an experiment for me. I have a lovely Conn 12M bari but have never been able to play it in tune. I had a fun session with @diyaddict a couple of months ago playing various mouthpieces on his and my 12M horns (both early 1930s) and using the Intonation Station App that he developed to see what works and which notes are in/out of tune. Since then I have had the horn tweaked by my tech and also bought an old mouthpiece that seems to match it really well.

Rhys
I had a 36 12M up until about 6 months ago.
In all honesty it was the best sounding Bari I have ever had.
I still regret letting it go.
I used to use an old Masterlink 4****s piece opened by Brian Powell to .110 on it.
It was a great combination.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom