support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM March 2019: The man I love

Who says big brother is watching you? I downloaded a pic of Johnny to stick on my sound cloud track. Next visit to youtube and it offers this to me.

View: https://youtu.be/2V1oaELtn44

Never heard of the album, but Amazon have it on a CD with three others. It's in my basket as I type ;)

I love your sop recording, @rhysonsax! The first one on this thread, if I remember rightly. (My abject apologies if I don't :(). I only play tenor but I think the sop sax sound is my favourite. Sounds great!

I feel a bit guilty (as the host) about not posting my version yet. I've been playing around with the tempo of the backing track, doing some practice and (again) finding out how I could directly record from my Zoom to Cubase

But on the weekend it became clear that I have a leak somewhere on my sax. My local repairer is open again tomorrow and I hope to have this fixed within a day or two.

Clivey Macdougall

With a bit of luck the link above will get you my version. I have to admit to not being active in the botm for months mainly down to really being without facilities and also on very scruffy old horns. but I liked this choice and will probably try to get this number under the fingers and on to my setlist for the spring.

Good news is that my sax has been repaired (top 3 pads needed replacing) so I'll try and post something within a day or two. But I have a concert coming up on Sunday so I''ll need to practice for that too.:)

It's getting late in the month but I have just managed to squeeze in another recording.

I have a nice arrangement of "The Man I Love" by Art Marshall for saxophone quartet and I played all four parts to a click track that I have since muted. My favourite soprano is being sorted out by a tech so I played this on my Selmer sop, meaning three Selmer Serie III and one Mark 7 (the alto).

There's a challenging bit of double time about two thirds of the way through and also some mistakes in the written parts (at least that's my excuse).

The Man I Love - Sax Quartet Rhys V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

PS I've also moved the microphone position so it's at head height rather than just above the bell - I think this has improved the recorded sound a bit.

I'm a little late to the party again.
Really haven't had much playing time this month and it looks to be the same for the next month also.
I had a quick run through of this tune using a backing I found in my files.
The Man I Love.
Nick.

Another gorgeous recording on baritone @B Flat - I'm running out of things to say about your great tone and tasteful playing.

Can you tell us about your recording set up ?

Do you remember where that backing track come from ?

Rhys

Another gorgeous recording on baritone @B Flat - I'm running out of things to say about your great tone and tasteful playing.

Can you tell us about your recording set up ?

Do you remember where that backing track come from ?

Rhys
Thanks Rhys
I think the backing is an Aebersold backing but not sure.
My set up has changed once more.
The horn is a late Selmer MKVI Low Bb Baritone.
Mouthpiece is an old Hard Rubber piece (probably Riffault made) that I opened to around .110.
Reed is as usual a Fibracell 3.5.
Cheapish USB mic Rode NT-USB.
Old version of garage band on an old Mac.
I’ve had a recent change in the Baritone stable.
The Martin committee that I loved has returned to its previous owner.
A year ago I traded my Yanagisawa Low A for the Martin.
The guy I traded with asked about trading back and I agreed as I always loved that Yani.
Also a couple of weeks ago I traded my Selmer MKVII Tenor for a Selmer MKVI Bb Baritone.
Still coming to terms with the very close and cramped left pinky table but am finding it to still have that nice old school type tone.
Could just be my old school pieces?
Now I just need to find more time to play.
Cheers Nick.

First option to record this month came up today, so here is my last minute quick and dirty take. This time with a gypsy backing. Had (again) some sound bleeding issues in the recording and also had the idea that the backing guys played different chords than what I had laying in front of me, but I've never hold my takes back because of imperfections!

- 'The Man I Love' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) gypsy:

So we have come to the end of March.
I would like to thank @MikeMorrell for being our host this month, and also to thank all the contributors.
The thread will remain open, so there is still room for more contributions.

Back
Top Bottom