support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM June 2020: If You Don't Know Me By Now

I LOVE Simply Red. A great band. I wish I knew how to do this as I’d really like to add my version of it. This is very cool. :mrcool
What is it that you don’t know or understand? Maybe one of us could help to take you through it a step at a time?

What is it that you don’t know or understand? Maybe one of us could help to take you through it a step at a time?
This group has helped me quite a bit. I’m needing to learn how to do back tracking so I can play. Then I need to learn how to record it. I just got an iPad Pro the other day and overwhelmed myself but I’ll try again. At this point though I’d rather download a kareoke version of background chords so I have something to play to. But then again, I don’t necessarily need any background music but it certainly sounds better with it. Aren’t you glad you asked? Lol

@SaxyNikki - you don’t have to create a backing track for a Song or Ballad of the month.
We have made one that you can use.

There is a backing track here:

Ohhhhh yayyy you guys are bestest EVER! :banana:Ok I’m game to learn. I wanted to learn ‘somewhere over the rainbow ‘ and if knew the backtracks were already done I’d have joined in. That was very nice
Thank you☺️

You can still do “Over The Rainbow” if you want.

It wouldn’t let me share unless I got a Canadian iCloud Dropbox but I managed to download it.
I don’t quite know how to save it but I’ll figure it out. Plus I don’t have a printer so don’t think I can get the sheet music but that’s ok. I can figure that part out easy enough. It’s probably best if I do it that way. Ok! If I had known this I might not have bought that iPad Pro but I can still take it back for a refund. Oh I’m so excited. Thank you so much.:thumb:

This group has helped me quite a bit. I’m needing to learn how to do back tracking so I can play. Then I need to learn how to record it. I just got an iPad Pro the other day and overwhelmed myself but I’ll try again. At this point though I’d rather download a kareoke version of background chords so I have something to play to. But then again, I don’t necessarily need any background music but it certainly sounds better with it. Aren’t you glad you asked? Lol
I'm so glad that you answered me twice :rofl:

I'm so glad that you answered me twice :rofl:
I know. Sorry about that but THANKS so much for asking me about this. I’ve now downloaded the music and figured out most of the notes already. I CAN do this and I’m sooo happy. For a while I was getting a little bummed because there’s no way I could learn enough to produce my own backtracks and I remember someone saying I could always use the BOTM but I didn’t quite understand the concept of it all. I’m a super slow learner at times but I GOT this. I’ve been squealing ever since. I’m going to learn this and ‘Somewhere Over the Rainbow.’ I already play it in an easy C major but it’s a bit boring and unchallenging so another yayyy for something new. I hope I’m not hijacking this thread. I guess I am a tad. Oops. When I’m ready to upload it here I’ll have to figure that part out also. Oddly enough this song was on my own personal list of songs to learn and I knew it was in the right key since I jotted down the starting note and it matched up. :D

Hi @SaxyNikki, I understand your issue, and we want to help you solve it. (Wait, that sounds like one of those boilerplate answers to customer service!)

The monthly song and ballad (SOTM, BOTM) have been a great help and inspiration for me. I have done many since joining. As they are in the form of a post on the forum, there's no standard way to present them. (Note, maybe there should be, like putting that link at the top?) That means that the link to the resources, often created by @nigeld, are an Easter Egg inside one of the paragraphs. Looking for the "thanks to Nigel" might help locate them. This month, it was there in the middle of two videos:

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 09.05.42.png

Once you have that link and click on it, you will be taken to Dropbox and a page that shows files.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 09.06.10.png

If you only want one of the files, such as the backing track, you can click directly on that. At the top right on my laptop are two buttons, Sign in and Download. You do NOT need Dropbox at all, just click on Download and the option "Direct download". This will download a Zip archive. In most cases, you click on that file it will place all the files on your computer. You can look at the music PDF on the screen. This month has a backing mp3 file, Musescore file, a Band in a Box file and Eb and Bb music melody and chord sheets.

When I’m ready to upload it here I’ll have to figure that part out also.
If you are using GarageBand then the easiest way is to sign up for a SoundCloud account (free). GarageBand can upload your sound file directly to SoundCloud ("share"). Then you paste a link to the SoundCloud track into your Café posting.

You can do all of this using an iPad, but I think it will be easier with a Macintosh.

I found a backing track from Karaoke Version based on the Simply Red recording and also tried to transcribe a tenor sax recording by Dr Saxlove (akak Mark Maxwell). He takes it a bit slower and goes screaming up to an altissimo C, so I moved it onto alto, avoided the very highest notes and took it at the quicker tempo.

If You Don't Know Me By Now - Rhys alto V1.mp3 - Box

I don't know what effects they usually put on those Smooth Jazz saxophones, but I couldn't sound like those recordings anyway !

Rhys

I found a backing track from Karaoke Version based on the Simply Red recording and also tried to transcribe a tenor sax recording by Dr Saxlove (akak Mark Maxwell). He takes it a bit slower and goes screaming up to an altissimo C, so I moved it onto alto, avoided the very highest notes and took it at the quicker tempo.

If You Don't Know Me By Now - Rhys alto V1.mp3 - Box

I don't know what effects they usually put on those Smooth Jazz saxophones, but I couldn't sound like those recordings anyway !

Rhys
That is really nice. Love your improvisation !
:sax:

Nice job Rhys!
Heavy reverb and some echo (delay) and probably some EQ.
My brother asked me "why so much reverb?" on the first thing I sent him, which was "That's All", the first time I submitted a BOTM, way back in 2018! My first recordings had the reverb set at over 20. I know that has no meaning, but to compare that I now start at about 8 and go up until you can hear it in the mix. Then I back it down a point or two. Then I listen to the sax solo. It ends up at around 12.

Back
Top Bottom