All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

BOTM June 2020: If You Don't Know Me By Now

DavidUK

Hello playmates! :sax:

It's taken five and a bit years for me to be asked to choose BOTM once again. Is that good or bad?

Anyway.... Many thanks to @trimmy who was somewhere over the rainbow in May - hmmm could do with some rain, maybe Wednesday? I digress...

I first came across Simply Red in 1986 when a work colleague gave me a cassette of Picture Book, the band's debut album, and my wife and I have been to many of their concerts since. Mick's getting on a bit but his 30th anniversary show at the NEC in 2015 showed his voice is still fantastic. Here is their version...

Of course the song was originally a hit for Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes in the early 70's...

And David Brent of The Office fame...
...let's skip that version, eh? :confused:

You'll find the backing track and notes, courtesy of @nigeld who I thank profusely for his time, here: If You Dont Know Me By Now

Now, do your own thing! You might want to repeat the first verse instead of following the notes, you may wish to go "off piste" altogether and I'm hoping this is a tune which lends itself to the latter so go wild with whatever takes your fancy.

Oh... and see if you can spot the connection between Gerald Albright's version and Somewhere Over the Rainbow, here...

That's if you get that far. Personally, I think he sounds like someone with a comb and cigarette paper (he's not on here is he? :oops:). You can do far better I'm sure.
Perhaps I'm just a heathen who knows nothing!

Enjoy! Go blast it out the park!

:clapping:

wuffysax

Thanks for this nice title selection

very quickly I can present my recording there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3moEoQ5njtY

the saxophone of dörfler & jörka that i play, never came into production and into the trade...it was only a sample and not playable

it was a factory blank or a unique design prototype, which i built up step by step, ready to play.

there was a lot of work on the lathe ,for soldering, making inlays, but the neck is not original.

hope the recording was successful...i love this song

best regards from the black forest, germany

wuffsax

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

OP
DavidUK

DavidUK

@randulo - I'm guessing you just let your fingers do the thinking and played whatever came in to their minds? Whenever I try to improvise I always play one (or ten) bum notes which don't fit the key.

Very laid back and relaxed, and totally off the wall. :thumb:

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
@randulo - I'm guessing you just let your fingers do the thinking and played whatever came in to their minds? Whenever I try to improvise I always play one (or ten) bum notes which don't fit the key.

Very laid back and relaxed, and totally off the wall. :thumb:
Thanks, yes I will try to learn the tune. Note I played it a half step up to match the vocal recording. I think in this kind of ballad, it is strictly the storytelling that will make it. Mine isn't coherent after an hour of work but I hope some day it will be.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
It's funny, I just started listening to Simply red again recently. I did listen so much to that album that at the end if the video I was expecting the next piece (Enough) to start!

Thanks for this.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Yes, I ditched the Bb because they sing it in B and then I wanted to play it in D.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Here's another beautiful version

Edit: Oops - I mixed up BOTM and SOTM - my post was about La Folia. :doh:
I shall put it where it belongs.
Oh well, one tune’s much like another in the end - just a lot of notes.

Last edited:

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
I LOVE Simply Red. A great band. I wish I knew how to do this as I’d really like to add my version of it. This is very cool. :mrcool

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom