All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

BOTM June -2017- 'Georgia'

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Hi Guys, nigeld is hosting this months botm but has asked if I will get things started. First of all there are two sets of downloads use which one works for you>:) There is also an iReal Pro file as well.:)

Georgia - Box Std backing track with Bb and Eb

Dropbox - Georgia BOTM iReal file with simple Bb and Eb

This is from the chat Nigel and I had about this tune, "And just for interest here is the original recording from 1930, with Hoagy Carmichael singing and Bix Beiderbecke on cornet. It is quite a lot faster than most modern versions. According to Wikipedia, this was recorded during Beiderbecke's final recording session. He died the following year."

YouTube link to original song

Lots to look at and listen, this really is a great ballad. So I'm looking forward to some great versions being posted.

Have fun:sax:

Chris...:)

Tiberius

Locality
England
Ooh, Aubra and Dexter done did it. I've heard of it but don't know it, I'll take a look later.

mrpeebee

Locality
The Netherlands
I remember having done that one a few times before (back in 2014 and 2013).
Here are the oldies (played on four different mouthpieces):

01 - 'Georgia' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - July 2014:
SoundClick

02 - 'Georgia' (Ponzol Super 120 - La Voz medium - fast) - October 2013:
SoundClick

03. - 'Georgia' (Florida no USA 9 - Four 8* JvW - La Voz medium) - October 2013:
SoundClick

Last recording was played on a 1950's Otto link Florida no USA 9 (right channel, first 16 bars) and a 1935's Otto link Four 8* refaced by Jon van Wie (left channel, second 16 bars).

Hope to do a new recording later in June (this year!). :)

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Hi everyone. My internet connectivity is a bit patchy right now, so @Chris very kindly offered to start off the thread, as well as doing his usual excellent production of notes and backing track.

This is a classic standard, and I was surprised that it hasn't come up before as a BOTM. I am looking forward to some great versions. We have included a version of the notes in C, in the hope/fear that someone might be tempted to have a blow on their C-melody sax.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Café Supporter
Locality
Undy Monmouthshire U.K.
This tune is just gagging for a bari. Unfortunately it's about 3 months since my old Conn came out of its case, consequently my embouchure was too tight, I was overblowing and at one point almost gave up. It's taught me that I must dust down and use all my saxes especially Big B it really is use it or lose it. Anyway for what it's worth I'm posting it here, warts and all, will probably give it another go later in the month.

Last edited:

nigeld

Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I remember having done that one a few times before (back in 2014 and 2013).
Here are the oldies (played on four different mouthpieces):

01 - 'Georgia' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - July 2014:
SoundClick

02 - 'Georgia' (Ponzol Super 120 - La Voz medium - fast) - October 2013:
SoundClick

03. - 'Georgia' (Florida no USA 9 - Four 8* JvW - La Voz medium) - October 2013:
SoundClick

Last recording was played on a 1950's Otto link Florida no USA 9 (right channel, first 16 bars) and a 1935's Otto link Four 8* refaced by Jon van Wie (left channel, second 16 bars).

Hope to do a new recording later in June (this year!). :)

@mrpeebee Masterly and elegant as usual. I think my favourite was the second one - I like the faster tempo, and it was the sound I liked best of the various mouthpieces.

I look forward to hearing how you will play it this month.

nigeld

Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Wot! No verse?

A valid point. According to Wikipedia, the verse was composed at the same time as the chorus, but for some reason the original recording didn't include it.

nigeld

Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I think Georgia was the first straight cover I ever did. I really should revisit it. :)

DeadAudiolink Removed

@Veggie Dave - A nicely laid-back version with a good sound. Thanks for this.
I agree - you really should revisit it.

nigeld

Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
This tune is just gagging for a bari. Unfortunately it's about 3 months since my old Conn came out of its case, consequently my embouchure was too tight, I was overblowing and at one point almost gave up. It's taught me that I must dust down and use all my saxes especially Big B it really is use it or lose it. Anyway for what it's worth I'm posting it here, warts and all, will probably give it another go later in the month.

@U CAN CALL ME AL Wow! I had wondered about doing it on bari myself, but you did it in the low register. I wouldn't have dared that, but it works well. There's something special about that bari sound.

nigeld

Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I did have a sax version I was going to post, but I can't find it arggghhhh!!!!:oops: So for now we'll have to make do with the good old 'ewi':)

https://soundcloud.com/chrisewi5000%2Fgeorgia
Hopefully I'll find the sax track:)

Chris...

@Chris - When I first heard your EWI sound clips I really wasn't sure, but now I am coming to appreciate it as an instrument in it's own right. Nice version too.

nigeld

Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Here's Billie Holiday

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow