support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM July 2019 - Danny Boy (Londonderry Air)

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Nigel has asked me to host July's Ballad of the Month thread and I have chosen "Danny Boy" that perennial favourite, which uses the tune from ad old Irish melody "Londonderry Air".

The tune works well in a variety of different styles and I have put the sheet music along with several backing tracks here for you to download:
https://app.box.com/s/hz6dqvhoab90nmcrzbxbo57bdfquut6n

The same lead sheet should work with any of the backings as they are all in the key of Concert Eb (F for Bb saxes and C for Eb saxes) and use basically the same chord changes. Three of the backings are at 80bpm and the Dixie style one is a bit faster. In each case there is a four bar introduction, twice round the form (so verse then chorus twice and a short ending).

I have also uploaded one of the Band in a Box files in case you want to modify that in terms of style, key, tempo or whatever.

There are also lots of other backing tracks and Karaoke versions available if you would like to use something different.

Many, many artists have recorded great versions of Danny Boy, including:

Looking forward to hearing what saxophone recordings forum members can share during July and beyond.

Rhys

PS I will be away from computers at times during July so may not hear or comment very regularly, but keep your recording (sax or vocal) coming.

Cool choice, there's a great version of Bill Evans doing this, I'll find it later if no one else has

My wee version. kinda in barroom, sali army vibe I hope. look forward to listening to takes on wifi or library

Great choice and long been one of my favorite tunes to play. I hope to put a fresh version up here soon but for now here is a take I did some years ago when this tune was chosen at another site: Danny Boy
That's a lovely recording - very good tone and a wistful version of the tune.

Thanks for kicking off this thread with such a good start.

Rhys

My wee version. kinda in barroom, sali army vibe I hope. look forward to listening to takes on wifi or library

Really strong tone and a fine recording. I like the unusual style of the backing !

Rhys

Great choice. Always a good test piece for singers as this tune contains the highest note in the world.

Ted Greene (1946-2005) was the greatest guitarist most people never heard of. I was privileged to meet him and took one lesson from him before the realities of life caught up and I got a job that took me away from music for a few years. Ted wasn't just a great guitarist, he invented and used several stylistic devices like harmonics to make his playing unique. It happens that you can hear them in this recording of Danny Boy, beginning around the two minute mark and very strong near the end.
Ted's legend is so strong that, years after Ted's passing, students and admirers still post brilliant interpretations of standards to his web site in the form of tablatures anyone can read and download. There's even one contribution that analyses Ted's version of Danny Boy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ujO7qpoK40

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, it's fine. What I did was to delete the player (it's the same file, which I replaced with the new take) but left the post, (with the nice comment after it).

Back
Top Bottom