support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM - July 2018 Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

Keep in mind I've only had this horn for 2 hours

Oh a lovely soprano take, I've never heard it on sop before and if that's after only 2 hours I can't wait to hear what you do next time. :)

Hi,

after listening for some moments to the version @mrpeebee posted I thought about why something so - well - funny sounding from a sax teacher's standpoint could turn into something so beautiful after some bars.

I decided to take a step into this direction - just a small step - and tried it for myself. Rolled my lip out, didn't care about intonation - let go of control (a bit).
This is the result:

Bewitched

Cheers, Guenne

Beautiful playing as always @Guenne, thank you.

My old laptop died so I bought a new one, but... as often with new gear old stuff doesn't work anymore as it did before. Tried to do some quick and dirty recording last evening, but the recording quality was a bit of an issue (bleeding backing track into the sax only track). The issue didn't occur recording without backing track, so that's what I did for this month BOTM.

Only played the theme, which is new for me and since I'm a bad music reader, and didn't have much time to practice it most probably doesn't sound like way it should! Tried to stay close to the beautiful interpretation of the almost 90 years old Von Freeman, shared before in this thread. No sound effects added, just posted as recorded.

- 'Bewitched Bothered And Bewildered' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) - solo sax
MP3 Player SoundClick

I also did a take with the backing of Rhys, but have to find out if I can reduce the backing bleeding in the sax only track to get a reasonable sound quality. Let's see!

without backing track, so that's what I did for this month BOTM.

Only played the theme, which is new for me and since I'm a bad music reader, and didn't have much time to practice it most probably doesn't sound like way it should! Tried to stay close to the beautiful interpretation of the almost 90 years old Von Freeman, shared before in this thread. No sound effects added, just posted as recorded.

I also did a take with the backing of Rhys, but have to find out if I can reduce the backing bleeding in the sax only track to get a reasonable sound quality. Let's see!

Loved the breathy tones and vibrato and it sounded exactly like it should to me. I hope you get your laptop working so we can hear what you do with the backing track.

Here is my take with backing (thanks Rhys!). The bleeding during recording was in the end not too bad. Bit rougher and more bluesy than my solo take posted above.

- 'Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2):
MP3 Player SoundClick

While I was working on recording this wonderful tune I came across this old favorite of mine by Slyde Hyde and Pete Christlieb. Enjoy.

If you have time, listen to some more of the selections on this album which is one of my favorites. I am delighted it is now available on Youtube. Pete's playing on "Someone to Watch Over Me" will knock your socks off.

Here is my take with backing (thanks Rhys!). The bleeding during recording was in the end not too bad. Bit rougher and more bluesy than my solo take posted above.
I really enjoyed your rougher bluesy take, thank you.

While I was working on recording this wonderful tune I came across this old favorite of mine by Slyde Hyde and Pete Christlieb. Enjoy.

Pete's playing on "Someone to Watch Over Me" will knock your socks off.
Thank you so much for this - I've never listened to him before. He's on my list now and if I'd been wearing socks they would certainly have been knocked clean off!

I wasn't very happy with the version I posted and after listening a few more times it was beginning to annoy me. So...here's another attempt. Same backing track, same saxophone, different reed.

DeadAudiolink Removed

I wasn't very happy with the version I posted and after listening a few more times it was beginning to annoy me. So...here's another attempt. Same backing track, same saxophone, different reed.

That washed over me beautifully this morning, thank you - loved it.

Back
Top Bottom