support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM - January 2021! Lament

buddy lee

It's my honor to host the first BOTM for 2021, and I've chosen "Lament" by JJ Johnson. If you're not familiar, here are a few examples:

Chet Baker:
Chet Baker - Lament - YouTube

Miles:
Lament - YouTube

And a saxophone take just because (Nathan Haines):
Lament - YouTube

A beautiful one for sure and I look forward to hearing what you all do with it. Nigel was kind enough to make a few backing tracks for us, one with piano and one with guitar. Charts and backing tracks are available here:

Lament - Dropbox

Happy New Year!

@rhysonsax @buddy lee Until this months BOTM I had only ever been aware of the Tubby Hayes version which is in my collection. I had never considered or even though of the title in connection with tune. I still enjoy Hayes virtuosity but now I can appreciate the song in its original context. I’m learning all the time. Al

In 7 days, I will be celebrating my three-year anniversary on the alto saxophone. I've practiced close to 1090 days, probably 3,200 hours. At this rate, in about 7 more years, I will have logged the 10,000 hours that supposedly allow mastery.
Gladwell repeatedly mentions the "10,000-Hour Rule", claiming that the key to achieving world-class expertise in any skill, is, to a large extent, a matter of practicing the correct way, for a total of around 10,000 hours, though the authors of the original study this was based on have disputed Gladwell's usage.
This is disturbing in a number of ways, the first being that I am certainly not "practicing the correct way", and another being I will be over 80, if indeed I'm still here at all.

Here’s my quick and dirty take. Feedback is appreciated, especially regarding improv/tone/tuning.

That was really beautiful - your sound and control, and the recording was really intimate as well. I really liked the improvisation too, which was paced well and suited the song.

Bravo

Rhys

Love this take! You have a really nice, singing upper register which isn’t easy to do!

When I did the transcription, I was interested to find that the range Alan Barnes used was quite limited. For the theme the lowest note he played was C2 (natural) and the highest F#3. He doesn't go any higher in the solo and only has a brief excursion down to A2.

I played this on a new-to-me PPT mouthpiece which I am enjoying a lot, both for sound and tuning.

Rhys

Back
Top Bottom