All profit supporting   special needs music

BOTM January 2020 There's No Place Like Home

Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
Starting off a new decade with something gentle and quite a bit different. This is a modal piece in what's called Slack Key which is a Hawaiian style open tuning. It's all in Concert D Major (E for Tenor and Soprano, B for Baritone, Alto and Sopranino). This is your opportunity to make up your own melody and sing your heart out! It's from a live jam with a loop that just keeps repeating with the guitarist interjecting little phrases. Build your melody or establish a tune, then do your own variations.

This was recorded with a Zoom H4n with the guitar plugged directly in and a tenor sax on a microphone. The template has been pared down to 3:48 while the example track with the tenor sax is a bit longer. The original guitar template has also been remastered for you and sounds a bit fuller.

Back story: This was recorded when my guitarist friend Gerhard Lotermosser came to visit me the day after a fire had partially destroyed my house. The loop and what came after were spontaneous. During the last half of this I started playing a very old tune from the 1820s called "Home Sweet Home", which some of you may recognize. It was a very emotional play for me. Hopefully you will also find something that connects with you within this very simple template.

Template with guitar: There's no place like home template A by whamptoncourt
Mod edit: amended bt added
Example with Tenor sax: There's no place like home with sax by whamptoncourt

Last edited by a moderator:
Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell

Locality
Wow, you've certainly made this your own! More guitar, backing horns, a cast of thousands? I guess it's fair to say you found this one fairly easy or at least inspiring.

The repeated backing horn figures add a unique rhythmic counterpoint. I'm not sure that there was ever much of a melody in there, but it's certainly amazingly creative with a modern "Impressionist" feel. Thanks so much for kicking this off in such a good way.

Last edited:

It was fun, it's a blank slate. Forgive me if I didn't listen to the sax one, I didn't want to be influenced.

Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell

Locality
It was fun, it's a blank slate. Forgive me if I didn't listen to the sax one, I didn't want to be influenced.

You didn't need to listen to it. Those who can be inspired without prompting shouldn't listen to it. It's there just to give others ideas of what can be done when you have no melody, changes, sheet music, or clues.

The blank slate is the whole point. This is a very different exercise. When there is a known tune and you've got lots of references, then one can just "diddle along" with riffs and arpeggios. That won't work for this one. It's a different exercise and a challenge.

Rob Pealing

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Locality
Greenfield, Nova Scotia, Canada
There may be beginners to music and sax (like me) who would like to have a go at this and for them Concert D is not an inviting key, especially for Bari, and Alto. So if you find the key unfriendly use Audacity or (your favourite music editor) to change it to say concert Bb

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
There's an element that has been tripping me up. The format is a cycle of: I/IV/V/I one bar each, four bars per cycle

There are four cycles (16bars) then your friend throws in a three bar IV/V/I at 54 secs, followed by 12 sets of the original 4 bar cycle

I was playing to it today and didn't know why I was losing my place. Now that I've listened through with a critical ear I know what to look out for and I can decide whether to leave it in

Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell

Locality
The timing issue that Ivan mentions is my fault as I edited down the guitar track.

My conception of this was a simple exercise: one key, no changes, and an opportunity to improvise a melodic line. I'd suggest a less structured approach and go for an improvised melody. Having the same chord and pattern throughout (except for @ 54 sec.) means you can play almost anything over the guitar and have it work. Randulo's add is a good example of that.

If this is a major issue I can do anther edit and hopefully get it right next time.

Have fun...it's only music!

Last edited:
Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell

Locality
Had another go today and came up with a finished article

I need more musical development. I couldn't live with the three bar incursion so it is out

So good of you to contribute. Good simple theme that you then embellish and find variations. Hopefully you enjoyed the exercise. Once again my apologies for the timing edit.

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I had a quick try yesterday and I wondered where I was going wrong.
@Ivan has provided an explanation. (Though sadly it doesn’t cover my occasional unintentional excursions into other tonalities. :()

I think I can cope with 3 odd bars, but trying to remember when they are going to happen will be tricky.

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
I had a quick try yesterday and I wondered where I was going wrong.
@Ivan has provided an explanation. (Though sadly it doesn’t cover my occasional unintentional excursions into other tonalities. :()

I think I can cope with 3 odd bars, but trying to remember when they are going to happen will be tricky.
I can easily post the edited version of the backing track if, like me, you don't have the agility to leap through that three bar hoop

Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell

Locality
Thanks Ivan. Posting a corrected loop would be much appreciated, but please make sure the fidelity is as good as the original. Your levels were a bit low on your take. If you're not sure I can do this. Let me know.

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Thanks Ivan. Posting a corrected loop would be much appreciated, but please make sure the fidelity is as good as the original. Your levels were a bit low on your take. If you're not sure I can do this. Let me know.
OK @Wade Cornell, I'll leave it to you

Better that it is as you want it

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Your levels were a bit low on your take.
Interesting

I've just just listened on a phone and the balance is awful: sax is squishing a barely audible guitar and they sound out of time. But back listening on headphones the balance is as I intended it... guitar nice, sax not terrible, playing in time

But your ears are better than mine because I did modify guitar to take out clashing eq and I dropped the guitar level a couple of DeeBees

No good on a phone

Good enough on headphones or speakers

guidocreo

guidocreo

Locality
anzio - Italy