All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

BOTM December 2017 - Soul Eyes

Janosax

Hello,

I've got the pleasure to share with you the ballad of this month: "Soul Eyes".

The most representative interpretation IMO is Trane's one:

It was really one of my favorite ballad in my sax beginning.

Don't hesitate to share other versions you like.

I've done my own backing track with BandInABox and Sampletank with added reverb and mastering treatment.

You can download it at this link: Soul eyes backing track.m4a

Listenable on soundcloud too:

DeadAudiolink Removed

You can listen at this link to my "first of this month" version of Soul Eyes theme (recorded today):

https://soundcloud.com/user-970258578%2Fsoul-eyes-theme-one

No improvisation yet, I studied jazz in my younger age, but I haven't improvised on jazz chords structures in more than 12 years. I essentially play on my own tunes with are much more simpler harmonically. So it will be a challenge for me too.

I plan to study all Soul Eyes chords all along the month, and like you I will post my theme interpretation/improvisation versions and hope for some progression.

I will post ASAP all scales/chords playable on this ballad, this helps I think.

About Soul Eyes theme, as it's a ballad don't focalise on written rythm figures and feel free to give your own interpretation.

I'll do my best to host this BOTM, and now let's go.... share your sax tracks!!!

Note: I will post ASAP my own scores too in Bb and Eb.

Last edited:

Janosax

Glad you like this ballad :)

So I've done my own backing track with BandInABox and Sampletank with added reverb and mastering treatment.

You can download it at this link, first post is updated:

Soul eyes backing track.m4a

Listenable on soundcloud too:

I will post ASAP my own scores too in Bb and Eb. This take me some hours to do that, I hope some members will attempt to record themselves on Soul Eyes ;)

Last edited:

rhysonsax

I have also made a Band In A Box backing track for Soul Eyes - this one uses Real Tracks, so it is based on recorded phrases by real musicians and works pretty well I think.

Anyone is welcome to download and use this backing, which is in the usual key, standard chords and has three choruses. The tune is straight in, so the first melody note is one the fourth beat of the second count-in bar, just before the backing trio come in.

Soul Eyes 68bpm 3 choruses + ending.mp3 - Box

Rhys

Last edited:

Janosax

Here is my own written Soul Eyes score in Bb, no issues to download it I guess:

Soul Eyes Bb.jpg

PDF version here: Soul Eyes Bb.pdf

I will do Eb version ASAP.

@rhysonsax : Thanks for your nice Realtracks version, very nice and less robotic feel than my midi regular Bandinabox one. Your soprano version is also very nice, nice tone and theme interpretation. About improvisation, some of your notes sound not right on chords, what scale(s) do you use?

I will give all scales for all chords ASAP too, I practiced 8 first bars and there is lot of semi-diminushed and whole-tone stuff here!!! All those scales and Jazz practice go back to my brain day after day after 12 years without any Jazz :D

@c9off : Thanks for your kind words, glad you get some motivation to practice too ;)

Last edited:

rhysonsax

@rhysonsax : Thanks for your nice Realtracks version, very nice and less robotic feel than my midi regular Bandinabox one. Your soprano version is also very nice, nice tone and theme interpretation. About improvisation, some of your notes sound not right on chords, what scale(s) do you use?
Thanks for your kind words. No scales were used ! I try to understand the guide tones for each chord and use my knowledge of the melody and the moving harmony to guide my fingers as they wiggle about. Sometimes it lands on something that sounds acceptable and at other times it clashes, so then I try to move quickly onwards.

I look forward to reading your guidance on scales to use and hearing the recordings that other people make. I hope to try another version later in the month.

Rhys

Janosax

Here are Bb standard guide tone lines for all chords (1, 3, 5, 7). Play all of them on backing track, this helps a lot to build brain and ear for future improvisation:

Soul Eyes Bb Guide Tone Lines 1357.jpg

As a PDF: Soul Eyes Bb Guide Tone Lines 1357.pdf

Hope this will helps, Eb version will come shortly!!

And hope to ear more recordings too, come on Cafesaxists, Bb'ists and Eb'ists!!!!! :banana:

ERRATUM: errors on two last lines, on A7+9 and A7b9, sevenths are G on both, not flat G. Sorry for that, files are now updated.

Last edited:

Janosax

EDIT: some scales on some chords sound even better than those ones, I will give an updated version later.

Some scales that works on Soul Eyes, in Bb:

Soul Eyes Bb Scales.jpg

As a PDF: Soul Eyes Bb Scales.pdf

You can play that as an exercice on backing track, this will also gives some mental "marks" on notes you can play on each chord, and helps to ear what should sounds good.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Guys it's all been a little slow around here, ;) Must be all that early festive spirit :eek::cheers:

Chris..

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom