support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM December 2015 - NAIMA

View: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette-7/naimasinglechorus-low-gain-20150107

I've had another go with this recording on H2 using low gain setting, does it sound better, worse, no different?

All opinions welcome

Jx
Hi Jeanette, I'm a newbie as far as recording goes so I'm not sure what you mean by using a low gain setting (care to explain?). Did you also use less reverb on the second version? Compared to the first version, you sound much 'closer/clearer' on the second version. I prefer it!

Hi Jeanette, I'm a newbie as far as recording goes so I'm not sure what you mean by using a low gain setting (care to explain?). Did you also use less reverb on the second version? Compared to the first version, you sound much 'closer/clearer' on the second version. I prefer it!

I'm not entirely sure what I mean to be honest except there was a discussion elsewhere and @aldevis mentioned using lower gain. My zoom has a setting on the side for gain H M L I used medium last time and found it a bit loud in places. With low gain I need to play much nearer the mic but I thought it sounded better. Reverb, I thought I had added about the same but all these tweaks re gain and reverb are a bit new to me and experimental :)

Jx

View: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette-7/naimasinglechorus-low-gain-20150107

I've had another go with this recording on H2 using low gain setting, does it sound better, worse, no different?

All opinions welcome

Jx
Find it very difficult to tell which is the better technically recorded even through my new Bose Speakers. I think the second is however I also think you played better in the second one.

Some where in this thread @Gareth WG said he hoped some beginners would join in, and I endorsed the request for a single chorus backing track so better late then never here is my effort. My thanks go to @Jeanette for her help.

Those who wish to put their tutoring hats on please do.

@Jeanette 's help? I hear you asking. I used her recording as play along to help me with the timing, and I still got it wrong :(. However I really ought to spend some time doing the homework from my tutor, Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus, lots more notes above the top of the stave and some held for 6 beats:w00t:

Some where in this thread @Gareth WG said he hoped some beginners would join in, and I endorsed the request for a single chorus backing track so better late then never here is my effort. My thanks go to @Jeanette for her help.

Those who wish to put their tutoring hats on please do.

@Jeanette 's help? I hear you asking. I used her recording as play along to help me with the timing, and I still got it wrong :(. However I really ought to spend some time doing the homework from my tutor, Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus, lots more notes above the top of the stave and some held for 6 beats:w00t:
Good to listen to

Just a whisker ahead of the beat towards the end

A few of years late but I just a very old live cassette from the last century. When i was a very young lad, just a nipper. The Pete Nu Quartet at the Clockh0ouse in Clapham (Acre lane I believe)

very live, very lofi

Last edited:
Naima is one of those tunes that really touches me emotionally.

One of my favorites too! That's why I engraved the first bars on the floor of my studio. Here with the tip of my new shoes... Geox, just for home usage. Like slippers. I have a feeling I'll always wear them to practice saxophone from now on. Thinking about 'Soft shoe' and Gerry Mulligan. One of my favorite sax players. ;)

IMG_20191205_192121113~2.jpg

One of my favorites too! That's why I engraved the first bars on the floor of my studio. Here with the tip of my new shoes... Geox, just for home usage. Like slippers. I have a feeling I'll always wear them to practice saxophone from now on. Thinking about 'Soft shoe' and Gerry Mulligan. One of my favorite sax players. ;)
Walkin' shoes (Mulligan)

Other shoe-related titles?

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom