BOTM December 2015 - NAIMA

Great choice Gareth, I really enjoyed trying to work this one out

View: https://soundcloud.com/davidsax-2/naima
Great job of this, David! Nice, laid back tempo (I'd bumped my backing track up a bit to 60 bpm but I do like this 50 bpm tempo). I liked your embellishments and your improv. I learned from them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

this is just an etude on the changes to Naima called "Amanda".
It is from Walt Weiskopf's book on Triad pairs "Intervallic Improvisaton".
For instance playing Fmaj and Gmaj triad on F7#11, or F and Eb on F7.

Amanda

Have fun, Guenne

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Have fun, Guenne

Thanks Guenne, lovely playing and I can sense Naima looking over your shoulder

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

Amanda

Have fun, Guenne

Guenne, this is definitely my kind of jazz! I wish I had more like this on CD/Soundcloud. Walt Weiskopf's book may be way over my head but I'm going to order it anyway. Thanks for sharing this.

Last edited:
V
Hi guys,

Amanda

Have fun, Guenne
An interesting approach and fun too

Last edited:
Just want to say thank you to everyone who has posted and commented on last months ballad of the month.

There have been some truly beautiful pieces of one of my fav ballads of all time.

One of the many reasons I love this site is the many varied players, with their own personalities and range of skills and sounds, stamp and seal their time capsule of music forever.........let us keep up this thread and many others in this new year, if you have never posted before, please make this one of your new year resolutions.

Peace to all members........

..............................................now where is the the next ballad?

Running a little late guys, but, hopefully the next host is finding the ballad they would like us to play??
All will be ready in a couple of days I hope:).

Big thanks to Gareth for hosting Dec and for picking a great ballad, he has asked someone to host Jan, just waiting for an answer.
Also thanks to everyone who has posted a version, without you guys there would be no BOTM:clapping::thumb:

Chris..

Just want to say thank you to everyone who has posted and commented on last months ballad of the month.

There have been some truly beautiful pieces of one of my fav ballads of all time.

One of the many reasons I love this site is the many varied players, with their own personalities and range of skills and sounds, stamp and seal their time capsule of music forever.........let us keep up this thread and many others in this new year, if you have never posted before, please make this one of your new year resolutions.

Peace to all members........

..............................................now where is the the next ballad?

Hi Gareth, thanks for starting the 'ballad of the month' thread - Naima was an excellent choice! I enjoyed playing it and listening to everyone's version of the piece. I learned a lot from them. Looking forward to the next tune (I'll have a think too).

Happy New Year,
Mike

Thank you for kind words and contribution to Naima MikeMorrell, most kind.

However, I cannot take the credit for "starting" the ballad of the month thread, this was done a long time ago.......around the Paleolithic era was the last official rough estimate.

around the Paleolithic era was the last official rough estimate.
Not sure. In the old Paleolithic there was mostly Rock music. Then Metal, in the Bronze and Iron age.
The Iron age, in London, was followed by the Rust age. Only then, with rusty vintage saxophones, jazz could develop.

Thank you for kind words and contribution to Naima MikeMorrell, most kind.

However, I cannot take the credit for "starting" the ballad of the month thread, this was done a long time ago.......around the Paleolithic era was the last official rough estimate.
My mistake - but Naima was still a great choice!

No worries my friend, just did not want to take the spoils of this excellent thread........Naima is simply exquisite to me, glad you also enjoyed.

Currently trying to practice BOTM on my new tenor, must resist temptation of going and grabbing my alto, loving this tenor, just struggling a bit, just gotta keep practising until the wheels fall off.......

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom