All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

BOTM December 2015 - NAIMA

Bernie

Little chickety boom, one stick, you dig?
Account Closed
Well we had been talking recently about playing by ear and how to get into it, and I thought Naima might be more satisfying material than Three Blind Mice for that purpose. What would you achieve? Well, you might achieve "playing by ear", which would be quite something in itself if you can't already do it, and it might allow you to play with more of a sense of freedom?

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Well we had been talking recently about playing by ear and how to get into it, and I thought Naima might be more satisfying material than Three Blind Mice for that purpose. What would you achieve? Well, you might achieve "playing by ear", which would be quite something in itself if you can't already do it, and it might allow you to play with more of a sense of freedom?
Thanks, I see now but wouldn't I be playing the notes partly from memory?

Guess I won't know unless I try though :)

I like the sense of freedom idea

Jx

Bernie

Account Closed
Thanks, I see now but wouldn't I be playing the notes partly from memory?
Well in one sense that is what playing by ear consists of, I mean you can't play a tune by ear unless you can remember how it goes. But maybe you meant something different: you might be trying to play the tune while thinking "now it's an F and the fingering for F is...".

What I have in mind is more like what you would do if you sang the tune to yourself.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Yes what I meant was, as I have played it a few times my fingers may know where to go from memory as opposed to me hearing the note and playing it but my memory isn't that good so who knows.....

Jx

Bernie

Account Closed
Yes what I meant was, as I have played it a few times my fingers may know where to go from memory as opposed to me hearing the note and playing it but my memory isn't that good so who knows.....

Jx
Do you think you hear the note and then sing it when you sing a song you know?

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Last edited:

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
I really struggled with this tune (which I thought was going to be easy!).
https://soundcloud.com/mike-morrell-765250389%2Fnaima-mike View: https://soundcloud.com/mike-morrell-765250389/naima-mike

I left a few gaps so that my backing trio could shine while I caught my breath;)

Naima shows up everything I need to work on and it's been a great learning experience. But I'm ready to practice something else now!

PS. I welcome any critical feedback on things to improve!
I Enjoyed it. I think the "catching breath" spaces work well. It seems to me that everybody who tackles this finds it more difficult than they expected from the dots and comes away from it feeling they have more to learn from it yet is seems such a simple tune when one listens to it.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
I Enjoyed it. I think the "catching breath" spaces work well. It seems to me that everybody who tackles this finds it more difficult than they expected from the dots and comes away from it feeling they have more to learn from it yet is seems such a simple tune when one listens to it.
Thanks Rob, though playing it back now, it sounds worse than it did when I uploaded it!

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Naima shows up everything I need to work on and it's been a great learning experience. But I'm ready to practice something else now!

PS. I welcome any critical feedback on things to improve!
It seems to me that everybody who tackles this finds it more difficult than they expected from the dots and comes away from it feeling they have more to learn from it yet is seems such a simple tune when one listens to it.
Holding one steady note for an entire bar is no mean feat... I found it a pig too

Practising long notes, keeping steady air support and controlling your embouchure are probably all gonna help

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
One observation about playing from memory/by ear. The music usually comes through better. Even with top players there's often a disconnect between music and performance when reading. The extra brain work needed seems to stifle individual interpretation.

I was at a concert given by an excellent classical guitarist a couple of years ago. He's head/professor of guitar at a conservatory. All the pieces in the first half he played from the score. Nice but a touch stilted. Second half was from memory. Huge difference. It flowed better, interpretation was better...

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
One observation about playing from memory/by ear. The music usually comes through better. Even with top players there's often a disconnect between music and performance when reading. The extra brain work needed seems to stifle individual interpretation.
I'd like to respectfully disagree with that - if only speaking for myself. Having the music there doesn't mean extra brain work, it means less - I no longer have to rack my brain trying to remember it. I feel much more free when I've got the music in front of me than when I'm doing it from memory.

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber

I was at a concert given by an excellent classical guitarist a couple of years ago. He's head/professor of guitar at a conservatory. All the pieces in the first half he played from the score. Nice but a touch stilted. Second half was from memory. Huge difference. It flowed better, interpretation was better...
I'd like to respectfully disagree with that - if only speaking for myself. Having the music there doesn't mean extra brain work, it means less - I no longer have to rack my brain trying to remember it. I feel much more free when I've got the music in front of me than when I'm doing it from memory.
Well for what it's worth you are both probably right on this one. It will lie with the player as to what he feels at home
with. I have noticed that with a lot of beginners they tend to be OK when following the notes but when they come to improvised playing, timing and tuning seem to go out the window. It's as if because there concentration is no longer focused on something they don't concentrate on anything:confused2:

Saxholder Pro
Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom