BOTM December 2015 - NAIMA

Gareth WG

Hi all, the people of cafe saxophone have bestowed upon me..........the ballad of the month.

So I decided to pick "Naima" by John Coltrane, as this months ballad.

Coltrane has stated that it was his favourite composition.

Thanks to Chris, for his usual brilliance, thanks to Trimmy for recommending me...........

(From Chris).........

"OK guys here we go all the sheets and an mp3 can be found here, NAIMA

("This file now has an extra track, that has just one chorus plus ending, to match the sheet")

There is no intro to the backing just the drum clicks, there are x3 choruses with the long tag ending, hopefully
that should be clear enough from the sheet,

Tempo is around 60bpm, and it still ended up longer then 'Tranes' version"

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew after 11mins that was 'Naima' :eek:

Nice pick Gareth i do love Coltranes mellowed version

Lovely choice I will make sure I have time to listen to the different versions :)

Jx

Posted that version in ballads some time ago (Brecker playing "naima"). That version does not scare me Nick (as I will never be able to play like that (along with the other 99.9% of musicians)

What I see is one of the truly great innovative saxophonists of all time paying homage to one of his idols (who was also one of the most innovate saxophonists of all time).

Also makes me smile to hear how jazz musicians can completely reconstruct a tune in such a wild way. Truly incredible.

Dark fact, Brecker died one day after Alice Coltrane (john's wife)

Last edited:
John Coltrane - Naima (Album:Giant Steps) 1959

John Coltrane: Naima - Live, Belgium, 1965

John Coltrane: Naima - Live, Antibes, France, July 27 1965

John Coltrane: Naima - Live at the Village Vanguard, 1966
John Coltrane: 0:00 - 3:15
Pharaoh Sanders 3:16 - 10:28
John Coltrane 10:29 - end

Last edited:
Ok, I suppose having picked ballad of the month, I should at least have the common decency to attempt this tune......

Here is my first attempt at just playing the tune.

I think that term "punching above your weight" springs to mind.

Not happy with it at all, high notes sound awful, (first note is dire, but no time to record again now) but I am willing to take one for the team to hopefully get the ball rolling.......

View: https://soundcloud.com/user962542163/naima-cover-1st-attempt

Last edited by a moderator:
Not happy with it at all, high notes sound awful, (first note is dire, but no time to record again now) but I am willing to take one for the team to hopefully get the ball rolling.......

Few of us are ever happy with our recordings, good on you diving in so early, well done :)

It had a lovely tender feel to it.

Jx

Sounding really good Gareth and a great start to what should be a very interesting thread.

The Bb and Eb lead sheets that was provided seem slightly different to the Coltrane versions I also have and it sounds like you may be playing something in between.
Last note of bars 3, 7 and 19 is written as Ab (tenor) / Eb (alto) but did you play the natural ?
Bars 7 & 8 are exactly the same as bars 3 & 4 in my Coltrane version, rather than staying on the Ab (tenor) / Eb alto in bar 8. I think you played the Coltrane version.
Bar 17 last note is written as Eb (tenor) / Bb (alto) but I think it should be the same as bars 1 and 5 (i.e. F (tenor) / C (alto)). I think you played the Coltrane version.
This is going to take me a lot of time to work on my pitching and then to think of something in the improvisation.

Rhys

Thank you Jeanette for your kind words, really need to work out some sort of programme whereby I can tinker with the sounds. Just recorded myself straight onto zoom h2n with backing track playing through my mobile phone (with minirig speaker). Then upload straight to soundcloud etc........

Hi Rhys, thanks also for kind words. Yes this tune is gonna take me a lifetime to work out improvisation.....

PS yes i did play natural instead of Eb in those bars.........the Bflat in bar 17 just sounded wrong to me, so I did the normal c.

I actually printed this out today and the ink literally ran out on bar 20! (even the printer is against me murdering this tune!).......

So, now I have embarrassed myself, anyone else stepping up?.........please

@Gareth WG nice first attempt at playing the melody.

There is one thing wrong with the sheets:w00t: the last note in bar 8 should be concert Eb and for the whole bar..

Had some time earlier and thought I'd get a marker down, hmm! perhaps I should have waited??:)

Chris..

Top choice
Here is my first attempt at just playing the tune.

I think that term "punching above your weight" springs to mind
Nowt wrong with that Ist attempt lad

Nicely paced

Rhys's sharpened flat at the end tho' but.......

Nice version, Chris. I think the melody works well in the lower octave, making it more peaceful and lest of a wail.

I wonder how it would work on soprano. Again, the pitching would have to be spot on and the impro would be just as challenging.

Rhys

Cheers J and Rhys, your right Jeanette nothing like a willing volunteer to play something:)

Chris..

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom