BOTM August 2018 Blue Moon

Guenne

Hi,

as a comeback from my sax-abstinence (hiking in Carinthia) I recorded several versions with the MPCs I currently own (all on my Yanagisawa TW010U).
I liked this version with a Morgan Fry Super Vintage 7* on this horn best:

Blue Moon

I prefer it to this version I recorded minutes later with the same gear but with my Retro Revival Super D New York 7*, the mouthpiece I am playing on my gigs currently.

Blue Moon RR

Both mouthpieces claim to be "Links" without their flaws. In fact, the RR is very easy to play, it is loud, reed-friendly and versatile.
Of course you can't judge by just listening to one recording, but the Morgan Fry sounds more "linkish", as far as I hear "Link".

Anyway, I hope you like it!

Cheers, Guenne

P.S.: The play-along is MMO...

Hi,

as a comeback from my sax-abstinence (hiking in Carinthia) I recorded several versions with the MPCs I currently own (all on my Yanagisawa TW010U).

Blue Moon

I prefer it to this version I recorded minutes later with the same gear but with my Retro Revival Super D New York 7*, the mouthpiece I am playing on my gigs currently.

Blue Moon RR

Both mouthpieces claim to be "Links" without their flaws. In fact, the RR is very easy to play, it is loud, reed-friendly and versatile.
Of course you can't judge by just listening to one recording, but the Morgan Fry sounds more "linkish", as far as I hear "Link".

Cheers, Guenne

Are you trying to burn the house down??? I just called George Strait, because we need the fireman!

Colin the Bear

Hi,

Blue Moon

Blue Moon RR

Cheers, Guenne

Prefer the second one. Only a hairs breadth in it mind. Both lovely as usual. Liking the new avatar too.

last

Being frustrated because of issues with cane reeds (today a reed works, but not tomorrow and for the day after tomorrow it has not decided yet) I have tried to do my first recording with a plastic reed (legere signature)...

Blue Moon - Legere Signature

:)last

rhysonsax

I found a backing track and an example tenor sax improvisation on iTunes. The backing has a simple four-in-a-bar guitar and the sax just plays one chorus of the head and 24 bars of improvisation. I searched for the accompanying tuition book but didn't find anything, so I transcribed the sax line and tried to play that myself.

Blue Moon - Rhys tenor + guitar V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

PS If anyone is interested in the tracks, they come from Italy and an album called "Real Book Jazz Sax & Guitar Easy Lessons Vol. 2".

Yes - two very nice versions from Bristol and Houston! :)
I find it interesting to hear all this different interpretations. Each version is beautiful in it´s own way. :thanks1:

Thank you!

:old:last

rhysonsax

I have the Music Minus One (MMO) book featuring solos by Bob Wlber over string backings, which are the arrangements used on Clifford Brown's album with stings. I think Bob Wilber played this one on soprano, but it written out for alto so that's what I used.

Blue Moon - Rhys alto with Strings V1.mp3 - Box

I had to adjust the levels as the backing track seems to have been recorded VERY LOUD.

Rhys

Top Bottom