BOTM August 2018 Blue Moon

last

Good Morning! :)

@Jeanette honored me by asking me if I would run the BOTM August thread. So I´d like to suggest "Blue Moon" (written by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart).

There are thousands of different versions of this song and so it can be played on the sax in many different ways...

This is my favourite one...

or sung by Sinatra

or Ella Fitzgerald

Music sheets are in The Real Book Vol. 2.

Or perhaps you might own this...

Further here are links from @rhysonsax and @Guenne. Thank you very much!

Blue Moon - Cafe Saxophone Box

Dropbox Blue Moon Cafe.zip

Rhysonsax has done two different backing tracks (One is two choruses at 100bpm with just guitar and bass for company. The other is three choruses at a slightly slower tempo and with a nice 12/8 feel. Both of these have a 4 bar introduction and an obvious ending.) that should work with the lead sheets so kindly provided by Guenne, who has also made two backing tracks.

So - I hope you like this song and I would be happy about many participants. :)
Looking forward to listen to your recordings.

Best regards

:)last

Last edited:

rhysonsax

Nice choice and I'm looking forward to hearing lots of different versions.

Here are a couple of ones I like, showing a range of tempos and styles:

Rhys

saxyjt

Another great choice. It's unfortunate that I'm away from my horns now. I'll have to wait 3 weeks before I have a go at it!

Perhaps @Jeanette can add the name of the tune to the title of the thread so it's easier to find later.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
@MandyH seems you beat me to it this thread. Like you it's in my busking repertoire but with different more up beat backings. As this is BOTM I decided to use one of the slower backings posted here in this thread, I liked it so much with permission (@rhysonsax ?)I'll use it when summoned to provide background musak. Here's my opener

https://soundcloud.com/user-550962391%2Fblue-moon

rhysonsax

@MandyH seems you beat me to it this thread. Like you it's in my busking repertoire but with different more up beat backings. As this is BOTM I decided to use one of the slower backings posted here in this thread, I liked it so much with permission (@rhysonsax ?)I'll use it when summoned to provide background musak. Here's my opener

https://soundcloud.com/user-550962391%2Fblue-moon
Really nice ! Keep using the backing - it suits you, sir !

When I made the backing track I was thinking about what Boots Randolph might have done with the tune. It came out really well.

Rhys

last

Thank you @U CAN CALL ME AL for that beautiful slow version! Sounds to me like you were having fun recording that! :)

I tried a slow version a few months ago ("McGill-Style" => see Post #4), but i am not yet able to do such a nice improvisation...

But I´ll do another recording for this BOTM soon - hopefully ;).

:)last

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
@last thanks for the comment. You’re abosulutely right about having fun. Sometimes frustrating but always fun playing, recording, gigging with a sax. I can’t sing but I learn all the lyrics and try to use the sax to voice my words I sometimes even talk mumbo jumbo when improvising sometimes works sometimes doesn’t all part of the fun. Liked your nice gentle rendition. Nice pick! Regards Al

Last edited:
Top Bottom