All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

BOTM August 2016 This Masquerade

OP
Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Thanks my friends. You are very kind.I hear so many things that need practice..

Anyway, where are the 5 other versions?

Has @Colin the Bear finally learned the song lyrics?

Last edited:
OP
Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Very nice,

@Colin the Bear. Very nice time feel. For my taste the sax would have to be more in front of the mix.
The kind of reverb makes the playback more important to my ears.

Cheers, Guenne

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
It's odd how yesterday my take sounded great but today it sounds less so. Funny reverb and a bit blurred sounding. I'll have to have another go.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Another attempt. Tried to play it with a bit more feeling. Added just a little reverb to the sax track and brought it up in the mix. Mic position seems to play a big part in the finished sound. Tried this one with the mic below the sax between me and a hard surface. It seems to have picked up several squeaks and bum notes that I certainly didn't play:rolleyes:

Same backing track.

https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear%2Fthis-other-masquerade View: https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/this-other-masquerade

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Sounds much better in terms of recording, although the sax is a bit distorted in some places (or it's just the speakers of my Macbook)

Cheers, Guenne

rhysonsax

Locality
Surrey, UK
A high standard so far and I have enjoyed listening. I'm just back from holiday and trying a new alto mouthpiece that I bought from eBay. It's a Buffet Crampon and I'm liking it a lot so far.

This recording uses the Hal Leonard backing track which is a good one. I think there are some electronic glitches in the sax recording, but hopefully not too distracting.

https://app.box.com/s/wm5yeguw7z0qptc9s4rmz3144wq67gkc

Rhys

OP
Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
a new alto mouthpiece that I bought from eBay. It's a Buffet Crampon and I'm liking it a lot so far.
Hi,
it is a challenge to test it on the melody of this tune, as it is either too high or to low on alto in the usual key :)
Anyway, well done.
What are the distortions?

Cheers, Guenne

rhysonsax

Locality
Surrey, UK
Hi,
it is a challenge to test it on the melody of this tune, as it is either too high or to low on alto in the usual key :)
Anyway, well done.
What are the distortions?

Cheers, Guenne
Thanks Guenne. The distortions are a click, crackling or scratching sound that I hear at several points on playback. But now I'm not sure whether they are on the sax part or on the backing track which I have ripped from the playalong CD from the Hal Leonard book I bought.

Rhys

Tiberius

Locality
England
Hmm....there isn't enough beginner this month.

Ok, I've been a bit busy this month, and teacher has been touring Scotlanshire on a morobike, so I'm getting round to this late. I've taken the Mark Maxwell (Dr Saxlove) version as the basis as I love his sound. The backing is from his site.

I've used his backing track, but mostly the notes from Chris. Thankfully it's in the same key as the notes from Chris, so I didn't need to migrate it. I have refactored a few of the notes to fit in with something close to what Mark is playing, mostly things like he has an extra D before the G, A, B riffs. The long D on the third line starts off with a C, C#, D...etc. But I think mostly its the same.

No cheating on this one, it's all one single recording, but I have been practising by playing along to the Mark Maxwell version on YouTube. In my mind, I can hear him when I'm playing...sadly when I listen back to it I hear a kazoo :)

Towards the end of the first verse it goes wrong, I haven't learned that bit yet really. There's also a couple of other places that I play the wrong note...sorry :) After the end of the first verse...I kinda go into free-play...Just playing some odd notes to fill in the time.

err...it's quite late, this will almost certainly sound a lot worse in the morning than it does now :) in fact I'll probably delete it in the morning :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97346875/This Masquerade.mp3

Why is there an A# in line 8? Bb is in the key, then it goes to and A natural...I'm lost. I kina understand some of the theory as to why it's sometimes called Bb and other times A#, but I'm lost here, it just seems more confusing to call it A# when Bb is in the key, especially when it's followed by an A.

I kinda grew up listening to the Carpenters version of this, my parents played it a lot. I didn't really know the other versions until recently. My teacher tried to get me to appreciate the George Benson version but I'm afraid that just flew straight by me...I really don't get this singing 'doo be doo be doo' when you're playing.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
Cool - your tone is definitely improving.

After the end of the first verse...I kinda go into free-play...Just playing some odd notes to fill in the time.
Most people call this "improvisation" and pretend they know what they are doing. :cool:

Tiberius

Locality
England
Most people call this "improvisation" and pretend they know what they are doing. :cool:
Oh...I knew what I was doing..I was going to play bits of the melody, but I couldn't remember them so I played something else instead while I tried to remember it. It didn't sound too bad, so I played it again as I still couldn't remember the melody bit I was going to play, then I thought I needed to play something a bit higher, so I played a bit higher while I still couldn't remember what I was going to play...then I noticed that there was only a couple of inches of the track left in Audacity...so I didn't have time to play what I still couldn't remember anyway. Then it finished without me playing anything that I actually intended to play :)

Tiberius

Locality
England
Ahh, noodling is a good word. My fingers moved without too much conscious control from me :) yeah I think noodling will do.

Each time I play, I think I can do better, that's kinda how I felt the first week I got the sax. Let's see how long that feeling lasts.

Tiberius

Locality
England
Cool - your tone is definitely improving
Thanks Nigel, sometimes I'm almost happy with it...until I hear it played back, then generally I realise how far I have to go :)
Unfortunately I can't blame my setup. I have recordings of my teacher playing my gear and it sounds amazing...so I'm afraid any bad is just down to me.

OP
Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Great, @Tiberius! Nice backing, too.

BTW: In doubt, play loud. If wrong, play strong!

Cheers, Guenne

Francisco

Locality
Portugal
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6