All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

BOTM August 2016 This Masquerade

rhysonsax

With this tune and my arrangement, you have melody once through then 24 bars of improv over the ii V..
@Chris can you explain that bit about "24 bars over the ii V" ? Isn't the song in the minor key, so the two chords are Imin and IV7 ?

Rhys

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
It's still a ii V @rhysonsax . Looking at the Bb sheet it reads Gm7 C13, which is a ii V in F. Just because the song begins minor doesn't mean it has to stay there or remain in a certain key. I might be wrong but that's my view of it:)

@Guenne
It would work a little slower as well, most daws should be able to knock 10/15 bpm off with out causing any problems.:)

I've just added a new backing track to the first post,(a little funky) you can still use the same sheets for it:)

Chris..

rhysonsax

It's still a ii V @rhysonsax . Looking at the Bb sheet it reads Gm7 C13, which is a ii V in F. Just because the song begins minor doesn't mean it has to stay there or remain in a certain key. I might be wrong but that's my view of it:).
I'll be interested to hear what other people think. I believe it is basically just G minor (for Bb saxes) - it hasn't modulated into F major.

Interestingly, when I play against those chords on a backing track, the E natural sounds all wrong against the C7 (or C13) chord. It is Eb in the key signature (of G minor) and so it puzzles me why the chord isn't Cm7.

Rhys

Guenne

@Richard Perks :
Wonderful! A bit irritating the sax is only on the left channel, the playback only on the right. But anyway, great!
@Francisco: Very nice too!

I have downloaded a youtube track and converted it to mp3, if you want to use this playback:

This Masquerade

Last edited:

Guenne

Hello,

I'm planning to do a version tomorrow, and I'd be very pleased if there would be 5 other, maybe better sounding versions before mine!

Cheers, Guenne

Colin the Bear

Struggling with this one. It looks and sounds so simple but the phrasing is throwing me all over the place.

Guenne

Hello,

first rendition...:)
Please comment about the sax to soft or too loud or whatever :) Thanks!

This Masquerade

Equipmentwise it's my Super 20 with the Soprano Planet Alma MPC and Rigotti 3med reeds.
Recorded and mastered on iPad (Apogee Duet Interface, Avantone CV12 Tube Mic) with Multi Track Studio and Final Touch.

Hope you like it,
Guenne

Last edited by a moderator:

jbtsax

Subscriber
Hello,

first rendition...:)
Please comment about the sax to soft or too loud or whatever :) Thanks!

This Masquerade

Equipmentwise it's my Super 20 with the Soprano Planet Alma MPC and Rigotti 3med reeds.
Recorded and mastered on iPad (Apogee Duet Interface, Avantone CV12 Tube Mic) with Multi Track Studio and Final Touch.

Hope you like it,
Guenne
You've raised the bar once again. Your intonation, control, and creative lines are both instructive and a pleasure to listen to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom