All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

BOTM August 2016 This Masquerade

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Well,

it's amost middle of the summer holidays here in Austria, and it's a great honour to be allowed to present BOTM August for you Saxophone experts here at Cafesaxophone.

The tune I (we, some nice members here helped me) have chosen is a Latin tune which has been recorded by many artists including George Benson, Pat Metheny, The Carpenters, Shirley Bassey, David Sanborn and many more.
It was written by Leon Russell. One reason we chose this song is that on this tune it is common to improvise on the form or just a II VI or even both. So I hope we can get as many participants as possible, including the ones who just took their first steps in improvisation.
A tune that can be played, sung or whistled :)

Thank you Chris for producing a background track and the proper dots, which can be found here:

Masquerade(LBF)

This Masquerade

Some examples:
"Original"

Pat Metheny with a less popular tenor player:

George Benson:

I have just arrived at my holiday domicile in the mountains of Tyrol, but I have Highspeed Internet here, so I can at least listen and comment on every version you post! I will do a version when I return home next week and I have played some longtones, hehe.
Looking forward to your versions!

Cheers, Guenne

Last edited:

rhysonsax

Locality
Surrey, UK
Excellent choice !

While our big band is on summer break, a few of us are getting together to play through some jazz standards and this tune is one that the guitarist suggested. I love that Pat Metheny live recording for the real intensity of the solos and the vocal too. I think that recording is in concert Dmin but the playalong I have is in concert Fmin.

Looking forward to hearing different versions of this and maybe some vocals among them.

Here's a nice tenor recording by Matthew Stone, using the Hal Leonard backing track:

Rhys

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Remember this tune from George Benson version (brilliant), not heard of any of the other versions.
Love Sanborns version going to scour the tube for other versions
Very nice pick :)

Edit...
After searching found this lovely smooth jazz version
View: http://youtu.be/ay3aXwsgZro

Last edited:

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Locality
Manchester,England
With this tune and my arrangement, you have melody once through then 24 bars of improv over the ii V.
Then end with the 16 'A' sec to end with. The mp3 is slightly longer so don't worry you haven't miscounted
anywhere:)

Chris..

OP
Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Thanks Chris,

for starting the thing.
Is this an EWI 5000 you are playing?
It sounds like one of the internal saxsounds. How did you manage it to play it inside a DAW? Did you connect via USB?

Cheers, Guenne

Tiberius

Locality
England
After searching found this lovely smooth jazz version
I love Mark Maxwell's sound, he has some long playlists that I sometimes put on when I'm working. Check out his video where he shows how he made the Game of Thrones smooth jazz version, I found it interesting.

Good choice, I will defo have a go at this one :) in fact, I'll go start practising now :) I'll just go get my mouthpiece out the dishwasher

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Locality
Manchester,England
@Guenne Yes, it's the 'Soft Tenor Sax' Hmmmm!!! I've heard better:)

With the 'EWI5000' you can take an audio cable direct from the ewi to my 'AudioBox' interface. It just replaces the mic lead I use for my real sax recordings. There is also a wireless option as well, using a wireless interface that comes with the EWI5000.:)

@U CAN CALL ME AL

Nice first version Al, I guess this one lends itself to doing more than one version:) Looking forward to more:)

I'm also working on a funky sounding backing track which when it's finished I'll add to the first post:)

Chris..

OP
Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Hey @Chris,

I know, I have one.
I used the USB without Interface and can't get the internal sounds working, just my DAW's instruments.

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Heres my version.
Hi, thanks for posting this nice version.
I've heard some very fine ideas in your playing, you seem to have a good technique too.
For my taste, less bending would make it still more interesting. Less bending and maybe putting more attention what the sound does once you hear it (and also especially on tone endings).

Cheers, Guenne

Last edited:
OP
Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Nice,
@jimmylh, the guitar sound fits nicely. Also the sax sound is very good. The background track could be a tiny bit slower, what do you think, @Chris? Maybe that's just me hearing the song slower.

@U CAN CALL ME AL: I enjoyed that one too, how did you record? Are you using a DAW or are you recording to the playback over played over loudspeakers?

Cheers, Guenne

jimmylh

Locality
Warner Robins, Georgia USA
Nice,
@jimmylh, the guitar sound fits nicely. Also the sax sound is very good. The background track could be a tiny bit slower, what do you think, @Chris? Maybe that's just me hearing the song slower.

Cheers, Guenne
Thanks. I created my own back track for this one. I was going for a faster smooth jazz feel.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Locality
Undy Monmouthshire U.K.
In answer to your question @Guenne the take was recorded to iPad using an iRig interface to connect headphones and a BM800 ( cheap ) large diaphragm mic. The DAW software was Cubasis and a small amount of reverb added simultaneously to both backing and recording in the mixdown. Al

eunza

Hi, thanks for posting this nice version.
I've heard some very fine ideas in your playing, you seem to have a good technique too.
For my taste, less bending would make it still more interesting. Less bending and maybe putting more attention what the sound does once you hear it (and also especially on tone endings).

Cheers, Guenne
Thanks for the constructive comments, Guenne. I have not been giving tone as much attention as I should be lately so will target that for next month ;). Agreed on the bending, it gets a bit much and I need to get out of that habit.

Cheers

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6