support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM - April 2021: Embraceable You

That was great. :clapping:

How did you get the guitar to come in and out like that?

Lots of use of "Bar Settings" to switch on and off the solo guitarist - you can do different things in different choruses. I had him playing 1 bar fills as well as 8 bar and 4 bar solos.

Rhys

Embraceable You is quite popular with the Gypsy Jazz community - Django did a fine version of it and lots of others since. The BiaB RealStyle for Gypsy jazz is pretty good I think and I used their tame guitar soloist to play around with. It's in concert Eb and I thought it suited the soprano.

Embraceable You - Rhys sop V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Excellent Rhys! Very well put together and performed. The trill at the end was a nice touch.

There is a nice recording by Scott Hamilton on his "Plays Ballads" album for which I have a transcription. He makes it sound effortless but it really ain't easy. Anyway I made a BiaB backing track for the first two choruses and recorded this on my tenor.

Embraceable You - Rhys tenor V1a.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Well done! It's not easy to get the Scott Hamilton sound - you did a great job there. Thanks, Rhys.

to post recordings of all 4 saxes,
Ha,
I'm following you on playing the song with all possible and impossible instruments :)
The clarinet really is hard to handle when it comes to recording with one mic only.
I experimented with different distances and angles (Sony C100). When I was through, I was almost too tired to record the tune, hehe.
There are still weak notes and notes that are too loud, but it's homerecording...

Cheers, Guenne

Ha,
I'm following you on playing the song with all possible and impossible instruments :)
The clarinet really is hard to handle when it comes to recording with one mic only.
I experimented with different distances and angles (Sony C100). When I was through, I was almost too tired to record the tune, hehe.
There are still weak notes and notes that are too loud, but it's homerecording...

Cheers, Guenne
Very nice. I can't say anything except it sounds to me like you really know what you are doing. Thank you again!

Others have been using the backing track based on the Neal Hefti string arrangements for Clifford Brown's "with Strings" album, so here I go. Like @Mark Hancock and @Guenne I thought it would be a good idea to try to record this month on lots of different instruments, so here is my baritone trying to play some of Clifford's trumpet solo.

Embraceable You - Rhys bari V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

Others have been using the backing track based on the Neal Hefti string arrangements for Clifford Brown's "with Strings" album, so here I go. Like @Mark Hancock and @Guenne I thought it would be a good idea to try to record this month on lots of different instruments, so here is my baritone trying to play some of Clifford's trumpet solo.

Embraceable You - Rhys bari V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Great stuff, Rhys, thank you again for posting. ...so, alto next? :)

Back
Top Bottom