All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

BOTM April 2020: It might as well be Spring

OP
B Flat

B Flat

Locality
Melbourne Australia
I transcribed the Stacey Kent recording with Jim Tomlinson's tenor sax and then made a BiaB backing track with the same sort of guitar backing that Colin Oxley provided for her. Because you wouldn't want to hear me trying to sing like Stacey, I transposed her vocal line onto soprano sax.

The guitar backing on its own sounded a little bare so I tried adding some drums and vibraphone but couldn't decide which mix I prefer. Let me know what you think.

It Might As Well Be Spring - Rhys sop + tenor Mix 1 with trio.mp3 - Box

This was the first vocal that I have tried to transcribe and it's quite a challenge capturing the exact start and end of some syllables and some of the vocal inflections are different to what a saxophonist would probably use.

If anyone would like to see the transcriptions I did, here they are:

It Might As Well Be Spring - Stacey Kent & Jim Tomlinson V5 - Soprano Sax (Vocal line).pdf - Box

It Might As Well Be Spring - Stacey Kent & Jim Tomlinson V5 - Jim Tomlinson (Tenor sax).pdf - Box

Rhys
That was really nice.
I’ll also say that I preferred the guitar only backing.
Thanks also for sharing your transcriptions.
This is something I haven’t done much of at all.
Nick.

OP
B Flat

B Flat

Locality
Melbourne Australia
My very quick and dirty take on Bari (I think that, afger the bridge, the score is not close to the backing track and I play by ear):

View: https://youtu.be/RZitGIz8fuU

B Keilwerth sx 90 - JJ HR 6 - Fiberreed Carbon M

Ciao and keep you safe.
You sound really good Guido.
I really like the sound you’ve been getting from your Baritone lately.
I have to admit that I didn’t really look at the score compared to the backing tracks.
I used a score and backing from an old Jamey Aebersold book I found in my cupboard (which may be different).
I’ll see if I can take a photo of it later and add it to the link in first post.
Nick.

OP
B Flat

B Flat

Locality
Melbourne Australia
You sound really good Guido.
I really like the sound you’ve been getting from your Baritone lately.
I have to admit that I didn’t really look at the score compared to the backing tracks.
I used a score and backing from an old Jamey Aebersold book I found in my cupboard (which may be different).
I’ll see if I can take a photo of it later and add it to the link in first post.
Nick.
Actually I won't be posting the score as stated as it may have copyright issues attached that I didn't first consider.
However it can be found on page 205 of the real book (second edition).
Nick.

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Locality
Zurich
I transcribed the Stacey Kent recording with Jim Tomlinson's tenor sax and then made a BiaB backing track with the same sort of guitar backing that Colin Oxley provided for her. Because you wouldn't want to hear me trying to sing like Stacey, I transposed her vocal line onto soprano sax.

The guitar backing on its own sounded a little bare so I tried adding some drums and vibraphone but couldn't decide which mix I prefer. Let me know what you think.

It Might As Well Be Spring - Rhys sop + tenor Mix 1 with trio.mp3 - Box

This was the first vocal that I have tried to transcribe and it's quite a challenge capturing the exact start and end of some syllables and some of the vocal inflections are different to what a saxophonist would probably use.

If anyone would like to see the transcriptions I did, here they are:

It Might As Well Be Spring - Stacey Kent & Jim Tomlinson V5 - Soprano Sax (Vocal line).pdf - Box

It Might As Well Be Spring - Stacey Kent & Jim Tomlinson V5 - Jim Tomlinson (Tenor sax).pdf - Box

Rhys
I definitely like the guitar only accompaniment for this style. Great job.

rhysonsax

Locality
Surrey, UK

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
I think that's the best I have heard you sounding - congratulations !

Have you changed your set-up for recording or adding effects ? It's capturing the tone really well, but I think we can also hear more noise from your intake of breath and the tonguing as well. That's not a problem, and maybe it's more noticeable for people listening on headphones as I do.

Rhys
Yes, I was pleased with the sound in that one.
It's a result of taking the Eric Marienthal Artistworks course - he said I was using too much pressure on the reed, so I have been working to reduce it. I still need to improve my breath support.

I've also put away my larger-tip tenor mouthpieces for now, and I am using a Morgan 3c (0.075" tip opening). This means that I am not having to work so hard to control the mouthpiece, and the result is actually a bigger sound.

I'm practicing and recording in a different (very small) room at the moment, to try not to annoy my neighbours more than necessary, so that makes a difference to the sound too. Unfortunately, my computer is not portable, so I recorded the sax on a standalone Zoom H2N while listening to the backing track through headphones from my phone. Then I synchronised my recording with the backing track on my computer later. But I have just inherited my wife's old laptop, so I may be able to record directly to GarageBand in future. I think the Zoom probably picks up more extraneous noise than the Beyer microphone I usually use.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
April is coming to an end, so I would like to thank @B Flat for acting as host, and also all the contributors.

As usual, this thread will remain open, so late contributions are very welcome.

OP
B Flat

B Flat

Locality
Melbourne Australia
I’ve just had a chance for a quick listen to the last couple of takes.
Guido,nigeld and Al.
Great to hear the alto even if pitch was a little flexible.
I had a quick try on alto but also had issues with pitch.
That’s what you get when you hardly ever take it out of the case.
Some nice tenor versions from nigeld and Al also.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

• Members online

No members online now.
  • Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sini Sax
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6