All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Bose PA

dooce

Locality
Daventry
We don't get much discussion about PA here, and usually it is in the form of grumbles about how rubbish it is, but I had a great experience with one system a couple of weeks ago.

I did a solo gig in a local Working Mans Club, just a couple of 30-minute noodling spots while a couple celebrated their Golden Wedding. Not something I make a habit of but occasionally I get gigs like this offered and they're decent money and a bit of a challenge to rise to, and despite the screaming nerves I get in the days leading up to them, once you are there and playing, its actually OK and quite good fun.

So, I turned up with my battered old Peavey amp and speaker, lugged it all the way from the car up into this huge function room and as soon as I saw the venue, I thought OMG, this kit is gonna struggle in this vast space. However, up on the stage, the other entertainment was already set up - a couple of blokes with a keyboard who sang and did a bit of banter, all a bit Butlins red-coat-ish, but these guys made a living out of it. They had a quiet chuckle at my antique, Museum of Obsolete PA display and said, put it back in the car mate, you can play through ours. "Your what?" I said as there wasn't anything on stage resembling a PA as I know it. This, they said proudly pointing to a sleek, incredibly slim black column that looked like the monolith from 2001 Space Odyssey. Nah, you're alright thanks I replied, you need a decent speaker size to get the best sound from a sax. Give it a go, they said - so I did. What a revelation! Undoubtedly the best PA I have ever played through, solo or in a band. Somehow, the crystal-clear sound gets everywhere, without monitors or extra stacks of speakers. I just stood alongside the sinister black pole and played my nuts off, it was so good.

Also very lightweight and compact, so much so it makes you wonder if Bose have imported alien technology from a distant galaxy or something as everybody else's kit still apparently needs a removals lorry and 4 blokes with black T-shirts and beer bellies to move it about.

Not cheap though - this particular model, £3k to you sir, and that's just for a duo. You need to do an awful lot of Golden Wedding gigs to cover that, but obviously less expensive versions are available. If only I was in a band that stood any chance of earning enough to justify lashing out on one of these systems.......

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/speakers/live-sound/l1-model-II-with-b2-bass/

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
10 weddings @ £300 a pop....sorted ;)

How did the gig go ?

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
We don't get much discussion about PA here, and usually it is in the form of grumbles about how rubbish it is, but I had a great experience with one system a couple of weeks ago.

I did a solo gig in a local Working Mans Club, just a couple of 30-minute noodling spots while a couple celebrated their Golden Wedding. Not something I make a habit of but occasionally I get gigs like this offered and they're decent money and a bit of a challenge to rise to, and despite the screaming nerves I get in the days leading up to them, once you are there and playing, its actually OK and quite good fun.

So, I turned up with my battered old Peavey amp and speaker, lugged it all the way from the car up into this huge function room and as soon as I saw the venue, I thought OMG, this kit is gonna struggle in this vast space. However, up on the stage, the other entertainment was already set up - a couple of blokes with a keyboard who sang and did a bit of banter, all a bit Butlins red-coat-ish, but these guys made a living out of it. They had a quiet chuckle at my antique, Museum of Obsolete PA display and said, put it back in the car mate, you can play through ours. "Your what?" I said as there wasn't anything on stage resembling a PA as I know it. This, they said proudly pointing to a sleek, incredibly slim black column that looked like the monolith from 2001 Space Odyssey. Nah, you're alright thanks I replied, you need a decent speaker size to get the best sound from a sax. Give it a go, they said - so I did. What a revelation! Undoubtedly the best PA I have ever played through, solo or in a band. Somehow, the crystal-clear sound gets everywhere, without monitors or extra stacks of speakers. I just stood alongside the sinister black pole and played my nuts off, it was so good.

Also very lightweight and compact, so much so it makes you wonder if Bose have imported alien technology from a distant galaxy or something as everybody else's kit still apparently needs a removals lorry and 4 blokes with black T-shirts and beer bellies to move it about.

Not cheap though - this particular model, £3k to you sir, and that's just for a duo. You need to do an awful lot of Golden Wedding gigs to cover that, but obviously less expensive versions are available. If only I was in a band that stood any chance of earning enough to justify lashing out on one of these systems.......

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/speakers/live-sound/l1-model-II-with-b2-bass/
OK spot the not-safe-for-work phrase buried somewhere in there

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
As for the kit it looks amazing

Fraser Jarvis

Yeah, wonderful stuff Bose, i went to a kids party once at the local village hall, all they has was a i-phone & docking station for the sound, it completely filled the room.

dooce

Locality
Daventry
They were in their 70's. They celebrated their anniversary with cake and fizzy wine, nothing more risque....

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
'30 minute noodling' in a working man's club :eek:

I was very very lucky to find a set of Bose headphones in the back of my cab (no not a lorry) and they are amazing sound quality

dooce

Locality
Daventry
10 weddings @ £300 a pop....sorted ;)

How did the gig go ?

Went really well. Even got them up and dancing to a medley of old rock and roll numbers. I can see a future entertaining in care homes......

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
'30 minute noodling' in a working man's club :eek:

I was very very lucky to find a set of Bose headphones in the back of my cab (no not a lorry) and they are amazing sound quality
One assumes the owner paid his fare before he met that unfortunate accident with the dodgy door opening at random, at speed

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Went really well. Even got them up and dancing to a medley of old rock and roll numbers. I can see a future entertaining in care homes......
Don't knock it... I've chatted to two people in the past fortnight who do exactly that, one a guitarist and the other a crooner who belts out Matt Monroe et al

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Quite a lot of discussion of the Bose L1 over on SOTW and also competitor products from other manufacturers.

The Bose L1 is good enough for Pat Metheny.

I wouldn't mind it if someone wanted to give me one of these line array speaker systems.

Rhys

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I think it's good for a small acustic band duo, trio and for a "quiet" audience in churches, art gallery, schools and in parlor. Nice and handy!

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
Ive played with an l1 some years ago. A hammond organ clone. Its clarity in the highs and lows was unbelievable. But too expensive.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
um... Whilst it is clever, I don't have a high opinion of Bose hi-fi

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
um... Whilst it is clever, I don't have a high opinion of Bose hi-fi
I think we're talking about PA systems rather than hifi. Not the same thing at all. Bose have been doing very excellent (if pricey) compact PA systems for many decades.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom