support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Body & Soul

Der Wikinger

Account Closed
Is the normal concert key for Body & Soul Db major, with the bridge in D? The reason why I ask is that I find F concert a much more comfortable key for the Tenor Sax because in Db there are jumps to low C and Bb. On my horn low c is not so bad but to get a low Bb I nearly have to blatt and that is not a good sound for a ballad.

Is the normal concert key for Body & Soul Db major, with the bridge in D? The reason why I ask is that I find F concert a much more comfortable key for the Tenor Sax because in Db there are jumps to low C and Bb. On my horn low c is not so bad but to get a low Bb I nearly have to blatt and that is not a good sound for a ballad.

Db concert, so Eb on tenor - as in the link Sue has provided.

I can play the arrangement I have, it's that either my horn or myself has a problem with the Bb that's the lowest note on the horn.

Low Bb is not an easy note to just hit every time. Try playing it from a start and running into it from C and the B. You need (or at least I need) lots of warm air from deep down and a relaxed embouchure to make it sound good. Or it could be a slight leak. A softer reed will help for sure but take care you don't solve that one and cause issues in the upper register.