support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Percussion Bodhran Drum …

Two Voices

Locality
United Kingdom
… also known as the Celtic drum. I’m working on a score and this drum’s timbre, sounds right for what I have in mind.

Can anyone here play one of these?

Yep, badly :)

I did learn once many years ago to play Bodhran so I could sub for our band's Bodhran player if he was ill (albeit in a much simpler way) The basics are quite easy to pick up but then its practice, practice, practice to get even remotely adept.

From my memories of folk sessions everyone thinks they can play the bodhran. Bit like a tambourine really.

And don't get me started on didgeribloodydoos.

From my memories of folk sessions everyone thinks they can play the bodhran. Bit like a tambourine really.

Not forgetting the bloomin' spoons . . . . . . . !!!!

Thanks for the replies guy's. Just wondered if one could perhaps learn to play well enough to just sound like a steadily drum beat in the deep. Boom, boom, boom as one beat per bar in 6/8 for twenty-four bars.

I tried my brothers over the Christmas period and I realised just how different it is from the sax. Good fun though! Might get one to muck around on!

Used to have one myself for recording purposes- very much the same as yourself- just to provide an 'organic' way of making big, simple beats. For slick bodhran playing check out Jim McNally of Afro-Celtic Soundsystem...

Thanks Jules! That's pretty much all I want to do. Might get a cheapish one and see how I get on with it.

Thanks for the heads up about Jim McNally I'll check that pout this afternoon :D

Actually- just googled the guy- he seems to refer to himself as James McNally. the really heroic bit of bodrhan bashing used to be with his band pre-Afro-Celts and Pre-Pogues- called The Storm- celtic music but very heavily processed and 'produced' on stage- a sort of 'Cheiftains but remixed by Nine Inch Nails'. His drumming with that lot, using nothing but a Bodhran, was absolutely earth-shattering..... (one of those 'lost' bands)

Just a head's up Paul, if you get a cheap(ish) Bodhran normally they can be a bit bright but you can dull them down with some strategically placed Gaffer Tape on the rear of the skin :thumb:

I can't play the Bodhran, but I do play the Great Highland and Irish Uilleann pipes. A lengthy Burns supper, Céilidh or other event sure makes me wish that I had!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't play the Bodhran, but I do play the Great Highland and Irish Uilleann pipes. A lengthy Burns supper, Céilidh or other event sure makes me wish that I had!:D
Uilleann pipes=- one of the most beautiful sounding instruments out there when in the right hands... I used to do a lot of crewing for this guy's band- http://www.troydonockley.co.uk/ (he's now in Ade Edmondson's band) and the sounds he can get from his pipes send shivers down the spine......

Check out THINGAMEJIG.NET my brother in law Rob plays the Bodhran am sure he wouldnt mind if you were to contact him.

cheers

Uilleann pipes=- one of the most beautiful sounding instruments out there when in the right hands... I used to do a lot of crewing for this guy's band- http://www.troydonockley.co.uk/ (he's now in Ade Edmondson's band) and the sounds he can get from his pipes send shivers down the spine......

Are they related to / similar to the Northumbrian pipes? I've seen these demonstrated (prof of music at Newcastle U????) they make quite a soft pleasant sound.

Actually- just googled the guy- he seems to refer to himself as James McNally. the really heroic bit of bodrhan bashing used to be with his band pre-Afro-Celts and Pre-Pogues- called The Storm- celtic music but very heavily processed and 'produced' on stage- a sort of 'Cheiftains but remixed by Nine Inch Nails'. His drumming with that lot, using nothing but a Bodhran, was absolutely earth-shattering..... (one of those 'lost' bands)

I seen some of his playing now and it is pretty impressive!!I've managed to pick up a couple of Bodhran Drums and they are fairly easy to get deep rhythmaic beat I was after! But no doubt take years to reach the standard of playing that McNally plays!!

BTW How did Lullah lose you're Zoom H2?

I'll have to make a note of that! If I ever need pipes, you'll be the man I ask :D For some reason the song Danny Boy pops into my head ...

Check out THINGAMEJIG.NET my brother in law Rob plays the Bodhran am sure he wouldnt mind if you were to contact him.

cheers

Thanks!! I'll check that out this afternoon!