All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Bob Berg

Mike

Yeah, I agree! Such control....A student of Berg' s gave me some pointer's concerning embouchere many years ago.
Such a great musician Mr. Berg....

Thanks for the post....

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I saw Bob Berg at Ronnie Scotts in the early 90's.What an amazing night.I even got to chat with him after 3 am when most had left and we talked for a good 10 minutes.He was 1 of the most humble people i have met.I asked about his sound,mp etc.He talked as if i knew him.No stars in there eyes just a very nice honest gent.He blew a storm that night.He was a monster.I have a signed Ronnie Scotts magazine still by Berg.A very sad day when he died.Him and Brecker will be trading some great licks up there.RIP Bob.

ArtyLady

I've just discovered him this week and have been listening to his stuff - what a great sound!, only to look him up on google to see he'd passed away, I was gutted :(

daveysaxboy

I've just discovered him this week and have been listening to his stuff - what a great sound!, only to look him up on google to see he'd passed away, I was gutted :(
Just discovered him,wow he was a monster.Played with the best,done a long stint with Chick Corea.He was with Mike Stern a good while.He died in a car crash a good while back.I was gutted when i heard then.He was not that old.Checkout Chromazone and friday night at the cadilac club.Also youtube,watch him live and he was a out there stellar player.

http://youtu.be/fOIhUpVzEFE

Mike

Really great you were fortunate enough to meet him Dave!
As you said, a monster player and truly a travesty to have lost him at such an early age.

What is it about great saxophone players that do not walk the earth for too long? Drugs, accident, illness....
Naturally, they were around long enough to share their gift.....

daveysaxboy

Really great you were fortunate enough to meet him Dave!
As you said, a monster player and truly a travesty to have lost him at such an early age.

What is it about great saxophone players that do not walk the earth for too long? Drugs, accident, illness....
Naturally, they were around long enough to share their gift.....
Yea they shine really bright but only for a short time.But as you say they leave us a wonderfull slice of there art for us to keep enjoying in such awe.

ArtyLady

I think this is my favourite track of his I've heard so far, just so upbeat and cool :mrcool I've been offered a try out with a fusion band and this is one of the numbers they do - I've transcribed it into Bb from the concert Real Book that I happened to have, but errrr........ it's not proving easy to get under my fingers at such a speed that's for sure! the solo I'm trying to get my head round the chord progressions by just whizzing through the arpeggios at the moment until they're secure then I'll be able to hopefully link some patterns together - hopefully in a kind of Bob Berg inspired style ;}

daveysaxboy

I think this is my favourite track of his I've heard so far, just so upbeat and cool :mrcool I've been offered a try out with a fusion band and this is one of the numbers they do - I've transcribed it into Bb from the concert Real Book that I happened to have, but errrr........ it's not proving easy to get under my fingers at such a speed that's for sure! the solo I'm trying to get my head round the chord progressions by just whizzing through the arpeggios at the moment until they're secure then I'll be able to hopefully link some patterns together - hopefully in a kind of Bob Berg inspired style ;}

Which tune is it.

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Good luck with the try out and the fingers! :)

ArtyLady

Good luck with the try out and the fingers! :)
Hi Sue, thanks - it's getting there, repetition is the key! - the improvising is easier for me than the head if I'm honest, you should see the rest of their set list!!! :shocked: some real tricky stuff - I'm not stressing about it though as they contacted me and as I pointed out I don't have the time to learn this stuff in a hurry.

ArtyLady

I've got a Berg Slice of gold here for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHtvx3Y87GI

I've seen this probably 200 times ( I own the DVD and you should too) and I still get shivers all over my body.

I think he was the first to do that to me with his music.

Every day I try and channel a little Bob.
Wow - that's the coolest version of that song I've ever heard! - not usually my kind of thing song-wise, but played like that......:thumb:

daveysaxboy

Amazing,well he always was,hey did i mention i seen him at Ronnie Scotts and spoke to him....>:):))):))):))):):):);} i dont get tired of saying that.;}

ps, also shook hands with Mike Brecker but thats another story for another day

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtyLady

Amazing,well he always was,hey did i mention i seen him at Ronnie Scotts and spoke to him....>:):))):))):))):):):);} i dont get tired of saying that.;}

ps, also shook hands with Mike Brecker but thats another story for another day
I know someone else who met him quite a few times and said he was a genuinely nice guy - I feel like I knew him now! - I've been so immersed in his music for the past week :mrcool

MMM

I know someone else who met him quite a few times and said he was a genuinely nice guy - I feel like I knew him now! - I've been so immersed in his music for the past week :mrcool

I'd recommend listening to "Short Stories" or " Cycles", I think they're 80s albums but worth listening to, also any of the Mike Stern albums with Berg, just great.
Cheers,
M.

ArtyLady

I'd recommend listening to "Short Stories" or " Cycles", I think they're 80s albums but worth listening to, also any of the Mike Stern albums with Berg, just great.
Cheers,
M.
Hi yes been listening to a couple off Short Stories - will look up the other one. Yes his combination with Mike Stern was great :mrcool

baritonesax

My favourite album of his by a long chalk is "Another Standard." His break at the top of his solo on "You and the night and the music" just beggars belief.

Although he was always in Michael Brecker's shadow somewhat, Bob always seemed a much, much more emotional player. His '70s stuff with Cedar Walton is great too.

superpapaben

...Checkout Chromazone and friday night at the cadilac club...
FYI Chromazone was Mike Brecker.

I'm a big Bob Berg fan too. I especially like the tracks with Cedar Walton.

Yeah, Bob and Mike are probably up there tearing it up; hopefully joined by fellow '70's NYC lofter Joe Farrell. Man, wouldn't that be an amazing show to hear.

Super

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom