Blues suggestions please

Little My

Practice makes better.
Please help me spend the last £9.80 of an Amazon voucher. For reference, the other £20.20 is going on Kind of Blue, Essential Reinhardt and Grappelli, Earl Bostic Flamingo and Jools Holland Swinging the Blues Dancing the Ska.

I'd love something bluesy and inspiring, or modern big band-ish. An accessible introduction to blues would be great. My existing pure jazz collection is very simple -Coltrane Favourite Things, Adderley and Coltrane ballad compilations and Lester Young & Nat King Cole duets. I always used to have loads out of the Birmingham music library, hence the very small collection.

Please do suggest away and I will check everything out on Spotify. Thank you!

TomMapfumo

Hi There!

2 excellent recommendations from me (bluesy/big band/orchestra) are:

"Out of the Cool" - Gil Evans (Ignore Amazon comments re packaging its fine!)
"Hot Corner" - The Five Corners Quintet (not widely known, but brilliant - my album of 2009)

If you fancy something different then "White Blues" by Chet Baker, or Porgy and Bess / Sketches of Spain or Miles Ahead by Miles Davis. (Again the latter three all feature Gil Evans, a really significant pianist/composer/arranger/conductor). They might be available as a box set at a crazy price if I remember correctly!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

the box set no longer features.
I also remembered an excellent alto sax/bass/drums trio - Back Door. Worth a look!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Little My

Little My

Practice makes better.
Thanks again for the suggestions. After some listening I went for "Charly Antolini meets Dick Morrissey" as I ended up singing the songs afterwards. I definitely want to listen some more to all of your suggestions though, I loved Skinny Dipping off the Hot Corner cd in particularl.

Top Bottom