PPT mouthpieces

Blues Scales

SilverSax

Locality
Tennessee native; live west of Atlanta.
I'm looking for the Twelve Blues Scales for alto sax that I can print out. My Aebersole books have them in one octave; I'd like to find them in two octaves. Can anyone point me to where I can find them? Thanks much.

Thanks, Paul. Does this book have the scales in two octaves? I already have a few blues/jazz books, but they show the blues scales in one octave only.

I'm looking for the Twelve Blues Scales for alto sax that I can print out. My Aebersole books have them in one octave; I'd like to find them in two octaves. Can anyone point me to where I can find them? Thanks much.

The notes in the scale stay the same up, or down, an octave if you stay in the same key. Is that what you meant ?

Some useful blues related material on this link.

http://www.themeister.co.uk/gbsofj/lesson10.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Give me a little while, I'll knock them up. I guess by alto sax you mean that you want the concert pitch alongside the sax pitch? So I'll do it for Tenor as well...

Give me a little while, I'll knock them up. I guess by alto sax you mean that you want the concert pitch alongside the sax pitch? So I'll do it for Tenor as well...

That's what makes "Cafe Saxophone" the best, we are all here for one another.
Well done Kev :welldone I nearly welled up;}

John.

Give me a little while, I'll knock them up. I guess by alto sax you mean that you want the concert pitch alongside the sax pitch?

Kev, I don't suppose there's any chance you could send me that as well? Would be much appreciated.

Steve

Thanks, Paul. Does this book have the scales in two octaves? I already have a few blues/jazz books, but they show the blues scales in one octave only.

It does have a few in the book plus tons of exercises. 120 pages +

Don't forget the notation on a single octave scale is the the same but higher or lower on the stave. So Single Octave D Blues Scale is D, F, G, Ab, A, C, D for a Second Octave just continue going up F, G, Ab, A, C, D then come back down. The book has numerous exercises in playing all the scales. It really helps the playing long term :D Hope that helps a bit!

Is this what you're looking for?:

One set of scales, marked as piano. That's what you read/play, but the saxes will play in a different key, so I've added a decode for each line. Hope it makes sense. Suggestions/corrections please.

Pete may want to move this to the paid subscribers section, so grab it while you can.

Just in case anyone has already downloaded it, I found a problem, which I've now fixed and re-loaded.

A more simpler way to learn all twelve minor blues.....the way i learnt them, is to think in terms off a major scale, start by playing the root, flatten the third, play the forth, flatten the fith, play the fith, flatten the seventh, then back on the root (obviously in the next actave)....lots easier than faffing around with all that paper work, but i guess you need a good understanding of your majors first.......well thats the way i do it so bound to be wrong i guess..... now how about the major blues...anyone?

Thanks to all of you for your responses to this thread. I'm overwhelmed by the interest shown here. I'm glad I signed up on this site.

kevgermany, the scales on your link were exactly what I wanted. Thanks so much for your time and help! I've already printed them out.

A more simpler way to learn all twelve minor blues.....the way i learnt them, is to think in terms off a major scale, start by playing the root, flatten the third, play the forth, flatten the fith, play the fith, flatten the seventh, then back on the root (obviously in the next actave)....lots easier than faffing around with all that paper work, but i guess you need a good understanding of your majors first.......well thats the way i do it so bound to be wrong i guess..... now how about the major blues...anyone?

Yes, but.... I can never remember what the nth note of C is, never mind any of the other scales.... And when guys start talking about chords, dominants, mixing different blues scales... I'm lost. Not because I can't understand it, cos I can when I sit and study it, but 30 minutes later it's gone.... Was the same when I was a kid, trying to learn my times tables, and it followed me through school, dates in history, capital cities, vocab in French.... But a formula in physics, or a chemical formula in chemistry went in and stayed without me even trying.

Some things don't stick, note sequences are one of my problems. Others are different. I guess I'll end up being a sight reader only, if I ever get my playing skills high enough.

Will try and do a set of major blues scales tonight.

Yes, but....

Oh....here we go ha, ha.....i guess different strokes work for different folks, i know what you mean though i supose a bit like your physics and chemistry stuff, and i'm with you on the times tables, never could get them...still can't!

yep... different strokes, so I have every sympathy with silversax... and much envy of those who can fix these sequences in their brains.

Is this what you're looking for?:

http://kevsgallery.com/cafesax/Blues_Scales.pdf

One set of scales, marked as piano. That's what you read/play, but the saxes will play in a different key, so I've added a decode for each line. Hope it makes sense. Suggestions/corrections please.

Pete may want to move this to the paid subscribers section, so grab it while you can.

Great stuff, thanks Kev. I might have to sign up as a paid subscriber...!