All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Blues for starters

Mack

I occasionally try my hand at the local jazz club jam session - The Bridge Jazz Club in Exeter - www.bridgejazzclub.com - and being not much more than a beginner I usually stick to the blues - my wife became so tired of hearing me churn out Work Song that I had to find something else. Went through the Real Book 2 and stumbled across Saint James Infirmary - I have to admit I had never heard of it - played it but couldn't really get inside of it - turned to youtube and found it was something of a standard - and found these two great versions - neither with sax unfortunately.

What jazz/blues standards does anyone else like to play around with? Bear in mind that I have come to this late and I have huge gaps where my musical education should be!

Last edited by a moderator:

saxplorer

Heh, so many to choose from: here are a couple to try:

Enjoy

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Hugh Laurie, dr House, of course.

If i am not wrong there should be a King Oliver version.

But it not formally a blues. What about dear old Blue Monk, Bags Groove and Tenor Madness?

BigMartin

What jazz/blues standards does anyone else like to play around with? Bear in mind that I have come to this late and I have huge gaps where my musical education should be!
Been working through this myself lately. I wouldn't worry about using standard tunes.
Spend some time learning a basic Bb 12-bar blues progression. Do the stuff they tell you to in the books. Play just the roots, root second and third, scale from the root to the fifth, arpeggios etc over each chord until you can do it in your sleep. In fact, you probably will. Then start making stuff up. Start simple---you don't have to do anything fancy with note selection. Rhythm and phrasing are everything. See Pete's pages for some guidelines.

As for St James Infirmary, this is the best version I know of (no sax again, though). Bloody terrifying!

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
seem to remember a storming version by Cab Calloway.... with various dead stops in.... and an almost 'surf'version by King Curtis

old git

Tremendous Bore
Amazed! "I went down to St. James' Infirmary". Feel like I learnt that alongside Nursery Rhymes.

Maybe there is something to be said for being familiar with the roots of jass and its predecessors after all, just as long as you are willing to keep listening to the successors.

oldblower

Been working through this myself lately. I wouldn't worry about using standard tunes.
Spend some time learning a basic Bb 12-bar blues progression. Do the stuff they tell you to in the books. Play just the roots, root second and third, scale from the root to the fifth, arpeggios etc over each chord until you can do it in your sleep. In fact, you probably will. Then start making stuff up. Start simple---you don't have to do anything fancy with note selection. Rhythm and phrasing are everything. See Pete's pages for some guidelines.

As for St James Infirmary, this is the best version I know of (no sax again, though). Bloody terrifying!

Thats the best one for me too, love this and the best bit about the blues for me is if the solo includes a note that you can't reach just find another that fits and play it with feeling. love it.

Young Col

+1 for OG's comment (never thought I'd say that). Armstrong's version is great.

Just started Wabash Blues in my sax group. Quite slow and stately and pretty simple to play. There's room in the arrangement for a backed impro chorus. It's in A Maj for alto and the chords are mostly simple: A, E7, D and a Gb7. I thought either use those and/or F#min pent. looks like it might fit across most of it.

jeremyjuicewah

BigMartin. Many many thanks for that track. I was brought up on this bloke´s music but have never heard him do that one before. This wonderful gentleman is I guess the biggest influence on me musically. Utterly fab!!
Mike

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom