support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recording Blue Yeti USB Microphone

Amachelle

Locality
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Hi all

I really want to start recording myself to improve my practice sessions. I always feel my tone is lacking but my teacher always says that it is fine - so i think this would help me a lot.

Ive read a few threads about recording and this microphone seems to be popular, has anyone else used this and found it easy to use?

Also ive read the thread on how to use Garageband, will this be simple to use as I have no experience with home recording.

Im looking forward to taking part in SOTM/BOTM, but need a little guidance first.

Many thanks :yess:

Hi all

I really want to start recording myself to improve my practice sessions. I always feel my tone is lacking but my teacher always says that it is fine - so i think this would help me a lot.

Ive read a few threads about recording and this microphone seems to be popular, has anyone else used this and found it easy to use?

Also ive read the thread on how to use Garageband, will this be simple to use as I have no experience with home recording.

Im looking forward to taking part in SOTM/BOTM, but need a little guidance first.

Many thanks :yess:

I have no experience with that mic, but I've heard good things about it. I read the GarageBand thread and I was confused even though I've been using it for over two years now. Unless you really dive Deep into all the things that it can do, GarageBand is very simple to use.

I have no experience with that mic, but I've heard good things about it. I read the GarageBand thread and I was confused even though I've been using it for over two years now. Unless you really dive Deep into all the things that it can do, GarageBand is very simple to use.

Thanks for that. All i want to do is record myself to a backing track and chart my progress. I dont want anything too technical.

Is Garageband free?

Thanks

Thanks for that. All i want to do is record myself to a backing track and chart my progress. I dont want anything too technical.

Is Garageband free?

Thanks

Yes GarageBand is free. You do know it's only for Apple products? It was already installed when I got my MacBook but I'm sure you can also download it from the App store.

Hi,

what is your operating system?
Do you use Apple products (iOS, Mac)
There are a few USB-Mics you can use on all platforms (iOS, Win, MacOS)

Cheers, Guenne

The yeti gets good reviews but looks expensive for what it is.

The BM800 is a good entry level mic. I like mine £10

BM800 BM700 Condenser Microphone Shock Holder Vocal Mic Home Studio Sound Record

That looks good, i may get one of these and if it doesnt work out ive not lost a lot of money!!

Hi,

what is your operating system?
Do you use Apple products (iOS, Mac)
There are a few USB-Mics you can use on all platforms (iOS, Win, MacOS)

Cheers, Guenne

We have a Mac airbook i think and also a windows laptop, my husband is very techy so im sure he can get me up and running.

Are there any recommendations for windows software too?

I use a free version of audacity. Which works well with windows. Plug the mic in the mic jack socket and press the red button. Just like an old fashioned cassette recorder.

I use a free version of audacity. Which works well with windows. Plug the mic in the mic jack socket and press the red button. Just like an old fashioned cassette recorder.

Thanks so much for the recommendation i will have a look at Audacity

IMO The Blue Yeti is a very fine microphone for the money, I run a professional studio and one of my mics is a Blue Yeti. I use it especially for field recordings as it's very handy being USB

And here is a guide to recording yourself with GarageBand

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Blue Snowball ICE microphone and use Garageband on my iPad, or Audacity on my PC.
I love the Snowball (mainly because it's "cute"!)
You don't need to be very "techy" to record well enough for the BOTM/SOTM pieces. Simple press record, play your sax, press stop, then snip off both ends!

IMO The Blue Yeti is a very fine microphone for the money, I run a professional studio and one of my mics is a Blue Yeti. I use it especially for field recordings as it's very handy being USB

Thanks Pete, great recommendation

I have a Blue Snowball ICE microphone and use Garageband on my iPad, or Audacity on my PC.
I love the Snowball (mainly because it's "cute"!)
You don't need to be very "techy" to record well enough for the BOTM/SOTM pieces. Simple press record, play your sax, press stop, then snip off both ends!

I cant wait to start trying SOTM/BOTM!!

Thanks for all the info guys hopefully i will be recording in no time!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Did someone say 'tetchy'?

Does using a USB mic remove the need for a preamp? I was looking at the Yeti to plug into a mac and make simple recordings to see if I sound any good...but looking at non USB versions, I've read that they need to go through an interface with a preamp.

Does using a USB mic remove the need for a preamp? I was looking at the Yeti to plug into a mac and make simple recordings to see if I sound any good...but looking at non USB versions, I've read that they need to go through an interface with a preamp.

No, a mic preamp is analogue. The Yeti interfaces directly via USB which is obviously digital, and so will be seen as an input in your recording software.