All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

M/Pieces - Ligs Blowing money and mouthpeices at the same time.....

TomMapfumo

I've watched the Video, and still prefer my Bari Esprit mouthpiece collection costing just £42 inc. shipping for soprano, alto and tenor mouthpieces!

Are you implying that he has made good mouthpiece choices, or simply has had them all from beginning to play the sax and never thought of improving his sound by trying/buying any other mouthpieces?

As he started playing sax when 13yo (1974ish) then many mouthpieces were not that available in the UK, or even developed at the time, and people just played what they could get hold of or were given, without question, especially as he was from oop north.

Sadly, I have bought several mouthpieces over the time that I have been playing before watching the video. At the same time I am pleased to have contributed financially to the saxophone community by so doing, so that shops and craftsmen can continue to earn a living!

Thanks for the Original Post!
Kind regards
Tom

Bigtwin

I guess if I'm implying anything, it's just that you don't need to spend £200+ to sound like a pro, and of course that if you do, you still probably won't. There are good "student" pieces out there (as you, and he, demonstrate) that play superbly and don't cost a lot.

jazzdoh

The best bet to buy mouthpieces is to buy them secondhand on Ebay or a sax forum,most mpc's will cost about half their new value and some might have only been play tested,this way if you don't like them you can move them on without losing any money.
I still use a Runyon Quantum Delrin on alto that cost me about £20/25 of Ebay 7/8 years ago.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I've watched the Video, and still prefer my Bari Esprit mouthpiece collection costing just £42 inc. shipping for soprano, alto and tenor mouthpieces!

Tom

Do you still rate your Soprano Planet piece or has that been surpassed by the Bari? I only ask as I have emailed some questions to Joe recently and was thinking of buying one.

Jx

TomMapfumo

Do you still rate your Soprano Planet piece or has that been surpassed by the Bari? I only ask as I have emailed some questions to Joe recently and was thinking of buying one.

Jx

Hi Jeanette!

The Soprano Planet Via Coro is just superb - no contest. Out of curiosity I did buy a Drake Son of Slant mouthpiece, which has a more traditional jazz vibe, but I wanted the Via Coro for its contemporary/North European jazz vibe and it is awesomely good.
The Bari is a really nice, mellower sounding mouthpiece, which I bought just to test, but does not have the depth of sound of the other two, which are in a different price bracket, to be fair. Joe is just superb at what he does!

Kind regards
Tom

Colin the Bear

My alto mpiece is the best price in the world. Got it given and never looked back. Stayed with it for almost 30 years now.

I can't believe that guy. Tells you how fragile and delicate his plastic sax is than leans it against the wall. I hope nobody is wearing Doc's. It'll need more than a bit of duct tape and a tube of super glue.

Greg Strange

Just noticed the other day I have about 8 mouthpieces in my alto case - Yamaha 4C, Meyer 5M, Vandoren Jumbo Java A35, Beechler S6S, E. Rousseau JDX8, modern Brilhart Level Air 6, Rico Metallite M5 and a recently acquired vintage Brilhart Level Air 4 - damn that GAS... and a similar number in my Yamaha tenor case...:shocked:

Cheers,

Greg S.

jazzdoh

Maybe i misheard his statement but i find it hard to believe a sax player of Derek Nash's caliber would not have more than one mouthpiece per sax,you only have to drop a mpc and you will be lucky if it plays, i have seen it happen more than once.

allansto

I think for some of us ......especially the blokes .........a new mp is like a new tool in your shed ........
its a man thing ....its like having a new tool to play with and see what you can make.
probably able to make what the old tool can....... but what fun it is to find out if theres anything else it can do.
not that im a collector of mps but I do like new tools.
Allansto.

Jamesmac

What I took from the clip, was that he changes his sax for a different style of music, rather than a different mouthpiece on the same sax. Which to me makes more sense.

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
I can't believe that guy. Tells you how fragile and delicate his plastic sax is than leans it against the wall.

Yes, that struck me, too. It was very close to falling over.

I'd be willing to bet my Hite Premiere that he has rather more mouthpieces than one per sax, but I think Jamesmac is right when he says that Mr Nash's point is that he generally uses different saxes for different sounds rather than different mouthpieces.

Top Bottom