All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

Blowing Another Man's Horn

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
You know what it's like. The atmosphere gets the better of you and before you know it, you're doing something you never thought you ever would (but in reality you've thought about it for years) and you've put another man's horn in your mouth.

Yep, apart from my TJ Classic II, I've never played any other sax, but tonight I was given the opportunity to not only play a different sax, I was given the opportunity to play a proper, professional saxophone - a Yanagisawa.

And I can't believe the difference between the two. The Yana felt so much smaller, everything about it felt solid with absolutely no play anywhere, and the action was divine - you barely had to move to finger a note or jump an octave. It made my TJ feel like a huge, not particularly well-made, hard to play toy.

And I sounded awful on it. ;)

This is good news, because it means I've just saved a small fortune. :D

Jez Watson

Today was catching up with a mate and he is a graduate of Royal Northern Manchester many years ago, he used to be a pro sax player but switched instruments a while back but still teaches sax at a private school in Cheshire, the school has a bunch of Elkhart's and he had to do a big band gig to fill in for someone so he borrowed an Elkhart and used his trusty Florida Link and Fibracell reed and said it was best setup he had ever played on! just to be sure he checked all the other Elkhart's in the inventory but it was just that one that had the vibe!
I remember when he had been playing a few years and was at college and he had a Selmer SA80 that was awesome but have never heard another come close , a one off, trouble was the harmonics were crap on it so it had to go.
I played in a function band (im a bass player) with him and the drummer was a sax player as well, he had a Selmer SA80 but prefered his no name cheap alto and i heard him on it and it sounded great.
I had a Yani T992 for a while, awesome intonation and ergonomics but just couldnt get on with the sound

Greg Strange

At the end of the day it's about what horn you feel most comfortable with and whether you think it gives you the best sound, everybody's different - but it's always nice to play a pro quality sax...and with some many brands and choices available nowadays the sky's the limit...

Greg S.

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
I had a Yani T992 for a while, awesome intonation and ergonomics but just couldnt get on with the sound
Which is basically my conclusion, too. It was a thing of beauty, but like so many beautiful things, I felt it relied on its looks rather than trying to do its job properly. ;)

In all seriousness, and speaking as someone who has only ever played two saxes and who hasn't been playing for much more than a year, I was quite surprised that this particular sax seemed to be so limited. I can imagine it as a perfect classical instrument, however, and this is more than likely a sign of my lack of experience, I really thought the main core of the sound came from the player and the player's choice of mouthpiece and reed.

I assumed that, for the most part, the player moulded the sax to how they wanted to sound - exactly what is so often said on here. Yes, different saxes would sound slightly different but, in my naivety, I had no idea that they could be this dramatically different.

I can't wait to get to Sax in London now and try and find my new one. I also now understand why, of all the saxes @Jules recommended I try given the sort of stuff I play, the Yani wasn't one of them. :D

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom