Bloody cheap rubbish

half diminished

I have been astounded by the poor quality of electrical switches and dual gang wall sockets from both B&Q and Wicks.

I've been gradually replacing them around the house as we redecorate - the old ones are very yellow and in most cases chipped. I've also recessed the old surface mounted boxes and in a couple of cases raised them p to accommodate the new taller skirting board.

When we re-did the kitchen I am sure that the Wicks standard ones were fine, in the past I have fitted MK ones but I couldn't find any though I spose I could have bought them online. This time around the ones i bought were rubbish. Plugs are loose and appliances switch off in the plug is moved in any way - totally crap!

Anyway I've now replaced then with MK ones! Just a small note in praise of Screwfix. What an Aladdin's cave! Never used them before last year but now I check them out first though I didn't realise that they did electrical stuff like switches and all!

Last edited by a moderator:

jonf

I agree about the lousy quality of lots of switches, fittings etc from the likes of B and Q. The current Homebase own brand range is particlarly awful. I always go for MK from Screwfix. Good service. Some of the Screwfix own brand stuff is a bit iffy, but they always have a good range of branded products. Their own brand, Erbauer power tools are pretty good as well. I use one of their 18v cordless drills around the house and as a socket driver when working on my bikes, and it's still going strong after 10 years of heavy domestic use.

Jon

neil

hi folks...I`m an electrical engineer and can totally agree with the comments on cheap electrical equipment. To be honest you just cant beat MK as a brand but if you dont want to order from screwfix nearly all electrical wholesalers stock MK products and are happy to sell to the general public, I`ve never used one so far that wont take cash or credit cards and the staff can often give good advice too.

neil

AndyG

As an electrician, I also agree. Would never get them from wickes, b&q etc, as apart from poor quality, they are also quite expensive.
MK or Crabtree seem to be the best quality and what I tend to fit if the customer is happy to pay a bit more for them.
Yes screwfix are good, and you might also want to check www.toolstation.com who have free next day delivery on any order over £10... quite handy if you dont have a store nearby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom